Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
That is wonderfull that you ended up with an NP, who is interested and open minded about Traditional foods and alternative healing methods. They are not that easy to find, even where I live in "old hippy land" :lol:
We have three for sure in the valley, one of whom is a WAPF chapter leader, and another that works with her. They are who DD sees for well baby visits.
I think there may be more here, because the physical health in ALaska is so poor, and many NPs are tired of not being able to really help. The natives are really suffering, and they really do not understand why. No idea that soda is not an acceptable food for a newborn, for example.

I have a feeling that when this NP understands about the diabetic stuff, that she will be offering the info to her patients.
Diabetes is rampant up here.

I think she may be interested in the raw milk co-op, but do know that she will never be able to say anything about that.I do wonder if I should pursue some sort of nutritionist training. I'll have to see if WAPF has ideas on a certificate that would allow me to teach real food. Then I could become a referral :D

ETA did a little sleuthing, and about the only alternative I have, is become a chapter leader again. Not really wanting to do that though...
At least I can give the number of the local one to the NP if she asks!

ETA2! Cooking consultant! Unregulated :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know I mentioned this already on another thread, but it wont hurt to repeat it. Have them get a copy of "My Big Fat Diet" about the Alert Bay natives and their return to traditional foods.

Seeing a documentary by another doctor who is of native ancestry and seeing the success he had with a modified low carb diet based on traditional foods should get their attention.

"My job at the time was focused on Aboriginal health and I was acutely aware of the high rates of diabetes in the Canadian Aboriginal population. We have rates that are three to five times higher than those of the general population. There are also very high rates of obesity and metabolic syndrome, precursor conditions to type 2 diabetes. These epidemics were devastating Aboriginal communities and causing huge costs for health care services to the affected. Millions were being spent on testing supplies, drugs and insulin across the country and much more on transporting people from remote communities for medical attention and the treatment of complications like kidney failure and amputations. A lot of money was dedicated to education and prevention but it appeared that the trajectory of the epidemic was still rising in spite of these best efforts. In my experience, travelling into the affected communities, there was almost a sense of fatalism, a feeling that it was hopeless. Even in communities where extra resources were being applied and research was being done to see what would work, we weren't able to reverse the terrible trend. The problem was confounding everyone involved.

As I began to realize that my simple dietary intervention was rapidly and effectively resolving my own case of diabetes, I naturally started to look at the broader Aboriginal diabetes epidemic through the lens of diet. In the course of my duties, I would often travel into First Nations communities, some of them quite remote. On these visits, I started to question people, especially the elders, about their traditional foods and old ways of eating. It was common, especially in coastal communities, to be fed traditional foods like salmon, halibut and shellfish. Inland, one would be fed moose, deer and elk. It was also common to see modern foods next to the traditional fare. It was not unusual to have potato and pasta salads with the salmon and moose, cakes and cookies for dessert and all of it chased with juices and pop. And there was always the ubiquitous, much loved bannock bread, something almost everyone regarded as a true traditional food.

In my informal surveying of the old ways of eating, however, I began to understand that the actual traditional diet (before the introduction of bannock bread) did not have a significant source of starch or sugar. "
http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I know I mentioned this already on another thread, but it wont hurt to repeat it. Have them get a copy of "My Big Fat Diet" about the Alert Bay natives and their return to traditional foods.

Seeing a documentary by another doctor who is of native ancestry and seeing the success he had with a modified low carb diet based on traditional foods should get their attention.

"My job at the time was focused on Aboriginal health and I was acutely aware of the high rates of diabetes in the Canadian Aboriginal population. We have rates that are three to five times higher than those of the general population. There are also very high rates of obesity and metabolic syndrome, precursor conditions to type 2 diabetes. These epidemics were devastating Aboriginal communities and causing huge costs for health care services to the affected. Millions were being spent on testing supplies, drugs and insulin across the country and much more on transporting people from remote communities for medical attention and the treatment of complications like kidney failure and amputations. A lot of money was dedicated to education and prevention but it appeared that the trajectory of the epidemic was still rising in spite of these best efforts. In my experience, travelling into the affected communities, there was almost a sense of fatalism, a feeling that it was hopeless. Even in communities where extra resources were being applied and research was being done to see what would work, we weren't able to reverse the terrible trend. The problem was confounding everyone involved.

As I began to realize that my simple dietary intervention was rapidly and effectively resolving my own case of diabetes, I naturally started to look at the broader Aboriginal diabetes epidemic through the lens of diet. In the course of my duties, I would often travel into First Nations communities, some of them quite remote. On these visits, I started to question people, especially the elders, about their traditional foods and old ways of eating. It was common, especially in coastal communities, to be fed traditional foods like salmon, halibut and shellfish. Inland, one would be fed moose, deer and elk. It was also common to see modern foods next to the traditional fare. It was not unusual to have potato and pasta salads with the salmon and moose, cakes and cookies for dessert and all of it chased with juices and pop. And there was always the ubiquitous, much loved bannock bread, something almost everyone regarded as a true traditional food.

In my informal surveying of the old ways of eating, however, I began to understand that the actual traditional diet (before the introduction of bannock bread) did not have a significant source of starch or sugar. "
http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/
She actually asked me if I had seen it yet! :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I am again advertising locally for the raw milk co-op that I coordinate.
Added two shares Tuesday, and have another family stopping by in the morning :ya
I would love to see this group get as big as the last one I had. 12 families and 48 shares!

We are also thinking about taking the truck down to the highway corner and selling eggs this weekend sometime.
We are back to getting close to 2 dozen eggs per day, and we are getting $4 a dozen rurally for them.
My egg fridge is filling up fast!
And next year, I will start enough seedlings to sell and pay for all garden expenses.
Must take advantage of the rising interest :thumbsup

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Its laundry day around here. Lots of it :/
Dh is not in love with my idea of us only having 10 changes. Even when I suggested putting together several tubs that can b swapped out when we are tired of one set did not gain interest.

I also popped a bunch more popcorn, covered it in oil and jello for DH to take out to the bait station tonight.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Dh is not in love with my idea of us only having 10 changes. Even when I suggested putting together several tubs that can b swapped out when we are tired of one set did not gain interest.

I also popped a bunch more popcorn, covered it in oil and jello for DH to take out to the bait station tonight.
Bear?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Boyd said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

Bear?
Yup :drool Dreaming of sausage!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I went out to gather eggs late this evening, and ended up going back out with the Ipod. We might have a broody RIR!
I got some serious stink eye on camera, as well as a cute goat kid and two roosters pretending to be hens.
I also have another broody over in the main coop!
So, I need to run back out and get several of the RIR girls back over with their rooster.
We have a milk customer that wants to buy chicks, and this is perfect timing!
http://steveandpaularunyan.blogspot.com/2011/05/broody-hen-goat-kid-and-roosters.html

Latest posts