Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Stupid question BB, how do you make the chickens sleep right now? I know my girls throw a fit if they go in before its pitch black. Do they naturally lay two eggs? I'm intriqued w/ you guyses long days :p
:pop

I have VERY long days in June as well, and my chickens stay out all the sunshiny day, so I'm curious about this, too.

And in winter, do they stay inside the whole time it is dark?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Still trying to catch up on what's going on with everyone so my replies are slow but ... glad to hear things are go so well with your little one. She looks like a little angel -- that smile! -- in the pic in her Grandma's dress. Beautiful. You are so blessed! :)

Sorry to hear about wayward chickens and onions. My onions have been disappearing too, but I don't know who to suspect. More likely some wildlife, sigh.

You probably already moved the broody with impossible-to-catch chicks? I have several of those around here ... I just slowly herd the mama and the babies will (hopefully!) follow. Of course if they DON'T, well ... It's pretty much impossible at that point to herd mama away.

:)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Oddly enough, its rare for her to be grumpy or cry. She no longer even really fusses about a filled diaper, cause she has figured out that I will change it quickly, regardless of her attitude.

It must be all the saturated fats, cholesterol and cod liver oil she gets every day
Call the Weston Price foundation and see if they need an adorable poster child :D

As a quick aside, and since your lovely daughter is of native ancestry, have you ever watched the documentary "My Big Fat Diet"? It's a documentary about a doctor, Jay Wortman, who put an entire native village on an ancestral diet with modern substitutions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBCuG2Ufo2Q
http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/
I used to be a member, so I do intend on doing that as soon as we are legally clear.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Stupid question BB, how do you make the chickens sleep right now? I know my girls throw a fit if they go in before its pitch black. Do they naturally lay two eggs? I'm intriqued w/ you guyses long days :p
I don't make them, they just tend to stay up till around 10pm, which is around the time dusk settles in.
I do not force bedtime, as that just is not natural. They follow the rythams of the earth better then we do.
The sun does dip away for a couple hours. No two eggs either. They lay normal.
We do light them in winter though, to ensure eggs and good health.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
valmom said:
ARgghh. Hope your onions aren't too bad to salvage! Keeping animals out of the garden area is an ongoing process- domestic or wild animals!

You are so lucky about nice long naps! My daughter didn't sleep at all the first 2 years, I swear. No naps and not through the night. It was exhausting.
Yikes! No sleep?
I have wondered, with the adrenal issues I deal with, if babies that struggle with sleeping are adrenal deficiant.
It causes sleeplessness.
During pregnancy, if the mother is running low, she will actually rob cortisol from her baby!
Just a theory that I would love to look into more someday.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Sinuses are mostly healed, but I had quite a fever yesterday, and have been "running" to the little girls room for 24 hours now :sick Pepto is not helping. So lots of fluids, and mostly fasting.
We were supposed to go to a church picnic last night, but I was to sick too :hit

Good news on the milk front! I got over a quart this morning off the doe! And that was after her kid filled her belly!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, BB. Hope you get to feeling better soon! Congrats on the milk. A quart of yummy freshness. Woohoo!!!!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Aww, BB. Hope you get to feeling better soon! Congrats on the milk. A quart of yummy freshness. Woohoo!!!!!
I know! DD only needs two cups per day still for her formula, so we are now getting enough to drink ourselves too!
I am still getting a gallon of milk from the farm this week, but next week, will switch that over to getting extra cream.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to make up a batch of yogurt for your tummy as well. ;) Hope you get feeling better soon.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BB hope you get better soon!!

Speaking of yogurt for your tummy...can you be allergic to yogurt? DH thinks he is, he ate a cup and a half of some I made yesterday morning and he was hugging the toilet for about an hour a few hours later :ep He attributed it to the yogurt. He does have some really bad allergies, but never heard of anyone allergic to yogurt. He had this issue of his stomach sick twice, both times he consumed yogurt but the second time, he actually got really ill. Just wondering, thought you'd know more about it than I do and may have heard of that kind of reaction :hu He is allergic to mold and such, but I'm very clean when making things, especially from milk, so wouldn't think it got anything in it from utensils/kitchen, but maybe during the making process? I dunno. Just thought it odd to be allergic to yogurt. What do you think?