Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am about 15 minutes from downtown and people act like I am on the New Mexico border, so I understand what you mean. I just get very specific in my posts and say "if you are not willing to drive to the Security/Widefield area, please do not reply". It really cut down on the "you live WHERE?!?!" nonsense.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
This is from the same people who drive over an hour to work in Denver?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Or don't think twice about the 45 minute round trip to the P.F. Changs on Briargate. I guess there is some kind of time warp when you go South around here! :gig

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You said they were on gravel with just hay on top. That confuses me. I thought you planted on top of fresh manure. I'm getting ready to plant my taters and still don't think I have my mind around what I am suposed to do.

I have plenty of stuff to muck out of the coops and old hay. Can you give me the tutorial again?

Had two ducklings hatch yeserday. I think the other 3 eggs under her are duds, but Charlie is sitting on 11 good ones and has 2 more weeks to go. How are yours coming along?

On a different topic, what do you know about being allergic to milk...not lactose intollerance. My oldest tested allergic to milk ( both cow and goat). The doctor didn't feel that there was any difference in whether it was raw or pasteurized. I can't help but wonder if she is wrong.

O

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
You said they were on gravel with just hay on top. That confuses me. I thought you planted on top of fresh manure. I'm getting ready to plant my taters and still don't think I have my mind around what I am suposed to do.

I have plenty of stuff to muck out of the coops and old hay. Can you give me the tutorial again?

Had two ducklings hatch yeserday. I think the other 3 eggs under her are duds, but Charlie is sitting on 11 good ones and has 2 more weeks to go. How are yours coming along?

On a different topic, what do you know about being allergic to milk...not lactose intollerance. My oldest tested allergic to milk ( both cow and goat). The doctor didn't feel that there was any difference in whether it was raw or pasteurized. I can't help but wonder if she is wrong.

O
Yes, could you please explain this tator patch idea again, I must have missed the first post or give me a link? Thanks!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Taters...lay on ground, and mulch with a variety of things. Leaves, straw or hay. Add layers as they grow. Top/side dress with manure as needed in the summer.

Squash in cooler climates. Put a good layer of hot fresh manure in the bottom of a tire. then a layer of mulch. Dirt on top, and add seed or transplant.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Taters...lay on ground, and mulch with a variety of things. Leaves, straw or hay. Add layers as they grow. Top/side dress with manure as needed in the summer.

Squash in cooler climates. Put a good layer of hot fresh manure in the bottom of a tire. then a layer of mulch. Dirt on top, and add seed or transplant.
Okay this sound easy enough, have 2 questions though:

1). Do you allow the plants to show leaves or do you keep adding straw as soon as the plants show green?

2) How do you know when to add the manure?

Thanks!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
homesteadmomma said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

Okay this sound easy enough, have 2 questions though:

1). Do you allow the plants to show leaves or do you keep adding straw as soon as the plants show green?

2) How do you know when to add the manure?

Thanks!
Ummm, I dunno :idunno The same as if I was planting in dirt? I guess I let a good 6-12 inches always show.
And I add manure mid summer I guess.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I saw this and thought of you.

Party Dress

Recently+Updated67.jpg

Latest posts