Build your own YURT

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
My husband's been talking about it for a while now. He think's it's a great idea to live in one while we tear down our current house and rebuild. He got the idea from my best friend. He needs to stop listening to her.
:yuckyuck

I also thought it would be fun to live in while the house gets rebuilt. We have very mild weather here. Then it can be my mom's house when I talk her into moving up here with me. :)

Hi Hattie!! :frow

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stayed in a yurt outside Yosemite. I have always loved them and have talked several times about living in one. I think I could do it here is So Cal with our mild winters and such. But I think a log home would be better just about everywhere else.

I visualize mine as more of a Mickey Mouse head shape. One large 30 foot for family, kitchen and bathroom with the ears as designated bedrooms. All on a raised wood deck. All utilities and plumbing would run under said deck. I have a drawing of the floor plan if yo would like to see it. LOl ;)

Keep dreaming you never know.

gina

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is a Yurt Village in Homer Alaska. Many people live in yurts in Alaska and you think in cold places with harsh weather would be the last places you see them, but that's not the way it is.

They are pretty cool. And all the cool things you can do with them, the interior of some are just gorgeous!

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually don't have an issue with them per se. It's not about heat or comfort or being weather proof. It's the fact that they're round. I really need to have things symmetrical and square. It may sound funny, but my husband and I have almost had fights over furniture placement because of this. He actually wanted to put the tv on an angle in the living room. We "compromised." It's at an angle in the corner, and he got sandwiches for dinner for a month. It's been two years, and I'm still getting used to it.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
A yurt in these parts would be burned and occupants hung. They may have been of great use and were practical to the nomads or mongols but in the USA they were used by hippies and throw-backs and now by ultra ed bagleys and especially the non-breeding front rangers of Colorado.

A simple cheap one is nothing more than a round tent, a more permanent one is over $10,000 where as a cabin that would last a life time could be constructed for less money. Ladies please see the folly of your ways or you'll be wanting to live in an igloo next.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
Ladies please see the folly of your ways or you'll be wanting to live in an igloo next.
An igloo, huh? Hmmm....

No, just kidding. Yeah, I definately have to agree with you, and I think hubby felt the same way. I think if it actually came to building an inexpensive structure to live in, we would be playing with the log cabin how-to's of the Foxfire series. I plan on building at least one small cabin on our future farm somewhere, it probably won't be the main living structure, but just to be able to try and build one the 'old' way seems like a fun project. And it could always be used for something, no matter what state it is in. If it's a bit lower than what would be ideal for human standards(first time making a log cabin) it could always be used for a shed, shelter, or storage. It would just be cool to make one. :D

I think I would much(much) rather live in a log cabin, with solid roof and solid square walls, than a round tent. But, they still are very cool and would probably be fun, even if everyone thinks 'hippy' when they see it! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As a "temporary" building they are exempt from a LOT of restrictions a permanent structure would have to conform to. In some areas of the front range, it is cheaper to get a yurt and rebuild every 15 years than it is to pay the fees to put up a cabin.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This dicussion reminds me of the time one of the houses along the way of my old commute a few years ago put one of these things in their front yard.. Yes, it was that big and actually more brightly colored than the one pictured. Pretty cool, except they were living 'uptown' in a fairly high end neighborhood. I imagine the town had them take it down. :rolleyes:

Teepee.jpg

Latest posts