lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
big brown horse said:
Lets give the YURT their own catagory, shall we? I would love to have one!!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-yourself-a-portable-home---a-mongolian-yurt/
YESSS. thank you, OP. We're adding this to the list of research sites re. this topic. I wonder if there are codes against such a dwelling (as a primary residence) in Polk County, FL?
Here you don't even have to have a permit to build one b/c it is a free standing/temp structure. Perhaps in a residental setting, there may be other codes. I see them all around these parts though. :)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just finished reading the entire thread. I am so really, so very yearning for a self-sufficient, off-grid life. I mean it is reaaally getting, umm, I can't even think of a word now. I relocated to FL from OH about 1.5 years ago and you never know what turn life will take. I met and married a wonderful man, a friend and lo and behold every time we turn around we find something else in common. He had some land, showed it to me on a semi-whim and I was hooked. I made the comment, "Had you not shown it to me I would not have known and now want to live out on our land." He excitedly told me he's always wanted to live out there but had no cooperation. Read that, former wife = not the business. Fast forwarding the story, we've added another acre just across the access road and we are working feverishly to move there before the end of fall (if not before). We've joined beau coup discussion groups such as this one, doing our homework before the move. We want a small organic farm. http://www.hiphillbillyfarm.com.

As we read more, we realize we want less government, less codes, less folk in our lives. We are going off grid (will probably HAVE to install a septic tank anyway). That is a waste of money/resources. It's stuff like that-that we can't stand. We ARE GOING to use a compost toilet system. Went by the code office yesterday, from what we can tell THAT will be denied and we'll have to appeal to some group of folk. Not meaning to be negative, but even places like this discussion board, you can see how some folk just don't get "it"; never mind those close-minded folk on some idiotic board. KWIM?

We're semi-stuck here because his children are homeschooled here. Youngest won't be 18 for 7 years. I keep trying to tactfully comment that it does not take 12 years to complete high school really. Hopefully they'll be ready to take their G.E.D. way before then, geesh. We don't know what the economy will be like by then either. We'll just take it a day at a time (not much else one can do). It's just from what I have been reading with the type of "folk" run Florida, THIS is not the place for what our hearts really yearn. It's too, hoity toity here IMHO. I mean really, who the heck should give a rats batootie if we live in a yurt or Cherokee tipee, or our park style recreational vehicle? Why is it their business? :idunno

Get this, we've been reading about lands (on eBay, mind you) that have no codes, do what you want. Maaan, we exclaim with glee when we read those. They seem to often be in places like Missouri. We did some some the other day in South Carolina. Wow, that's what we want. To find our spot, set up home, and be left the :duc alone.

Sigh . . . on we fight.