Build your own YURT

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, this may be a profoundly stupid question, given that I live in a geodesic dome which is also round, and we have a fully functional bathroom, but...

...where does one go in a yurt to take care of business? And how much privacy could you have, anyway? If it was just a curtain or some such, I'd personally choose death.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Ok, this may be a profoundly stupid question, given that I live in a geodesic dome which is also round, and we have a fully functional bathroom, but...

...where does one go in a yurt to take care of business? And how much privacy could you have, anyway? If it was just a curtain or some such, I'd personally choose death.
When a yurt is built to be permanent and have all the creature comforts it is called a house, albeit a round house. In the 70's we took a school field trip to this one.

http://www.marlenesheirlooms.com/octagon.html

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What is it with round houses in WI? There was one in Racine too, right by the Piggly Wiggly. :p

Ok, here is some info on plumbing, interior walls, electricity and alternative energy options. I got it off of yurt.com

Can plumbing be added?
Plumbing can easily be brought up through the floor of the yurt. If you wish to add interior partition walls the plumbing can be installed into these walls after being brought through the floor. If your site has plumbing and septic hookups you can use standard fixtures, but in remote areas people often use composting toilets and alternative gray water systems. Consult with a local plumber for more information.

Can electricity be installed?
Electrical wiring in a yurt is typically done through the deck platform (floor). Outlets can be flush mounted in the floor of the yurt or on short support posts around the perimeter of the wall (or mounted onto the Snow & Wind Kit supports). If interior partition walls are added to the yurt electrical wiring can easily be run into these walls, where outlets and switches can be mounted. We recommend having a local professional install the electrical wiring. If electrical service is not available at your site you might consider photovoltaic (solar) systems or propane systems (lights, refrigeration, heating, cook stoves, etc.).

How do I add lighting?
Virtually any type of lighting can be used in a Pacific Yurt. Customers have installed track lighting on the rafters, installed overhead lights to the center ring, used floor or table lamps and propane lights, among other things. Many prefer the safety of using low voltage lighting in their yurts.

Alternative Energy Options
There are many great alternative energy products available to consumers today. These products include composting toilets, solar power, wind generators, propane refrigerators & hot water heaters, and hydroelectric systems. There are many good suppliers and manufacturers of these alternative products.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When was that? I lived in Racine on Ohio Street when I was 3-5.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
When was that? I lived in Racine on Ohio Street when I was 3-5.
In the 70's. I might be getting the location mixed up. It could be near Horlicks High School. Both places we visit/drive by every summer. I remember it was on or near a busy-ish intersection.

(I lived on Ruby Ave. Maybe we are related? :p)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've often wondered how one keeps a yurt warm in the winter and cool in the summer without insulation. I know a stove would easily heat the space but how does one retain the heat each night when the stove is dampered down? Especially in the very cold regions?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've often wondered how one keeps a yurt warm in the winter and cool in the summer without insulation. I know a stove would easily heat the space but how does one retain the heat each night when the stove is dampered down? Especially in the very cold regions?
I am gonna go ahead and say that people who live in -50F yurts have a bit more intestinal fortitude then most of us here are willing to endure. Not saying that we are not "hardened off" but a choice between a golden reindeer shower in the snow and a warm navy shower would be difficult to fathom. <play on words<.

Dirt cobb and straw works well as an insulator as does snow (read igloo) when built small enough it takes but a few twigs to heat it. The worming mass of a commune is a plus if you like that sorta thing, the 3 dog night is better yet - though I get by with only two.