Building a Chicken Tractor

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I measured and cut the pieces for the door frame and the door. I’m trying to get one finished. Didn’t get a lot done today on it, but that’s ok. We had help!

Papaw gave painting lessons.

050EF148-E594-4489-BCFC-238ADB6E1345.jpeg

She got the hang of it and painted all by herself.

42F739C2-9666-420A-8197-AA96E40F6488.jpeg

B162CE44-D2CE-4848-B6D3-EBE2F681A9C4.jpeg

Time to clean the brush!

5E4C20F5-D95E-4C24-8572-F6CC023C1BD6.jpeg

She adores that Pepto Bismol pink!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pink is killing me! It's awesome!

What's the saying, everything's bigger in Texas? That's the biggest darn chicken tractor I've ever seen!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have quick connect on the tractor, gosh I LOVE that, and I'll just use a chain. I watched a guy load up our 12'x24' portable building using pins and a chain. The pins didn't even have nuts to hold them. I'll drill holes for bolts, using fender washers, nuts and a chain to hook onto. I'll get a picture of the hooks tomorrow. Or I could use the front end loader to lift the front end.

It's 7' wide, I'll probably put braces on the corners.

Maybe in addition to corner bracing you could also do a X brace on the walls inside corner to corner and fasten the studs to the X brace. That would stiffen it up quite a bit and should help with racking when it's being pulled with the tractor. You will probably need to do a 1/2 lap joint where the center of the X intersects so that both X members are flush with the studs.

Plywood sheeting on the outside and X brace on the inside should make it pretty strudy.

I think I would have built the walls on top of the 4x4's though but that's just me.

Check out Sawdust Girl ---> https://sawdustgirl.com/how-to-cut-half-lap-joints-on-a-table-saw/

This can be done with a skill saw and a carpenter square just the same.set your skill saw depth of cut to 3/4" (half the thickness of a store bought 2x4) use the square to guide you saw for the outside cuts then freehand the remaining cuts. Use a hammer and chisel to clean it up like she does and your good to go.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today was a fun day. Tomorrow, back to work to get at least one finished!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I am putting plywood decking on it. It is thin, but it's mainly to lay the radiant heat barrier on before covering with tin. It will work to help stabilize it. An X brace......you lost me. I'm no carpenter, but I don't let that stop me. My building just kinda evolves, I study on it, what to do next, how to do it, do it wrong, take apart, cut it wrong, try again, make mistakes, learn better for next time? Huhh? Who said anything about next time?

1/2 lap joint, you mean notching it out so the 2x4's are flush with each other? That might be above my pay grade. :lol: