Bulk Food resources

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Shiloh Acres said:
You would have to belong to LDS church to buy from them, right?
No. You do not need to belong.
Really? Well that might be worth looking into then. Thanks!

There is a Restaurant Depot (actually two) near me, well, in the nearest city and I go several times a year. I looked at their online ad and most of the prices are a bit higher than I usually pay anyway for meats. Great deal on silverware, though I hardly need service for dozens. ;) A businesss license is cheap but not sure it'd be worth it to me.

I live near a pretty big city though, so I should be able to find something.

Kimba

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but when I read this thread I was shocked at some of the grain prices folks are reporting. Thought I'd chime in with info on our source. We live in the Midwest and buy from a Mennonite mill dba Natural Way Mills Trust. They are located in Middle River, MN and they have a website at:
**oops, can't post the link cause I am too new here.
Type Natural Way MIlls into your internet search engine and it will come up.

We place an order once every 2-3 years and hubby drives over to pick it up. They are 4+ hours from us but the shipping costs more than the fuel to drive there and back.

We are picking up an order this week, so I had the prices handy.

This year's order:

200# Hard Red spring wheat berries $17/50 lbs (.34 lb)
50# Soft white winter wheat berries $15/50 lbs (.30 lb)
400# Hard white spring wheat berries $15/50 (.30 lb)
100# Rye berries $13.50/50 (.27 lb)
200# whole yellow corn $14/50 (.28 lb)
50# Pearled Barley $19/50 (.38 lb)
50# Green Split Peas $10.75/25 (.43 lb)
100# Durham wheat berries $16/50 (.32 lb)
100# Lentils $57.50/50 (1.15 lb)
25# Golden Flax seed $23.75/25 (.95 lb)
50# Steel Cut Oats $32.50/50 (.65 lb)
50# Whole Amaranth $82.50/50 (1.65 lb)

This is all certified organic, btw.

Interestingly, the wheat prices are almost exactly the same as they were in Dec, 2007, and the prices of some items have actually gone down since then.

Hope someone else can use this info.

Kimba

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A lot of folks go to TSC and buy their Producer's Pride whole corn that has the double cleaned alfatoxin tested and add that to their stores. The last time I checked it was less than $11. for a 50 lb bag.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kimba said:
I'm new to the forum, but when I read this thread I was shocked at some of the grain prices folks are reporting. Thought I'd chime in with info on our source. We live in the Midwest and buy from a Mennonite mill dba Natural Way Mills Trust. They are located in Middle River, MN and they have a website at:
**oops, can't post the link cause I am too new here.
Type Natural Way MIlls into your internet search engine and it will come up.

We place an order once every 2-3 years and hubby drives over to pick it up. They are 4+ hours from us but the shipping costs more than the fuel to drive there and back.

We are picking up an order this week, so I had the prices handy.

This year's order:

200# Hard Red spring wheat berries $17/50 lbs (.34 lb)
50# Soft white winter wheat berries $15/50 lbs (.30 lb)
400# Hard white spring wheat berries $15/50 (.30 lb)
100# Rye berries $13.50/50 (.27 lb)
200# whole yellow corn $14/50 (.28 lb)
50# Pearled Barley $19/50 (.38 lb)
50# Green Split Peas $10.75/25 (.43 lb)
100# Durham wheat berries $16/50 (.32 lb)
100# Lentils $57.50/50 (1.15 lb)
25# Golden Flax seed $23.75/25 (.95 lb)
50# Steel Cut Oats $32.50/50 (.65 lb)
50# Whole Amaranth $82.50/50 (1.65 lb)

This is all certified organic, btw.

Interestingly, the wheat prices are almost exactly the same as they were in Dec, 2007, and the prices of some items have actually gone down since then.

Hope someone else can use this info.

Kimba
Kimba, our grains are shipped in by barge, and honestly, $32 for 50 pounds of organic wheat is quite good ;)

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd love to pay Kimba's prices! I wonder if wheat can grow up here? BB have you ever heard of anyone growing wheat up here? I know oats, barley and flax and rye can grow up here...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I'd love to pay Kimba's prices! I wonder if wheat can grow up here? BB have you ever heard of anyone growing wheat up here? I know oats, barley and flax and rye can grow up here...
It will not, as far as I know.
We have not bought wheat in a long time as I have Celiacs and DH has now noticed that it is causing trouble as well for him.
Family history on both sides :rolleyes:

You can also order through www.wholyliving.com twice per year. Pretty sure they have a Fairbanks depot.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just order through Azure because whollyliving, most of their stuff comes from Azure with a jacked up price. They have a few things that don't come from Azure, and a few that are a bit cheaper, but I like the convenience of buying once a month not twice a year. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I just order through Azure because whollyliving, most of their stuff comes from Azure with a jacked up price. They have a few things that don't come from Azure, and a few that are a bit cheaper, but I like the convenience of buying once a month not twice a year. :)
Us too. We have ordered from Margaret a few times, since she is a friend, but we have to choose the most economical all around.
We have a long term goal of always being 1 year ahead on orders though. so Margaret's list is very helpful.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to be a year ahead too. This past year has been hard though and we've got some catching up to do. The next couple orders are going to be BIG. :)

Seaspray

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have any resources for Florida? We're in the Melbourne area.