Bulk Food resources

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Kimba said:
I'm new to the forum, but when I read this thread I was shocked at some of the grain prices folks are reporting. Thought I'd chime in with info on our source. We live in the Midwest and buy from a Mennonite mill dba Natural Way Mills Trust. They are located in Middle River, MN and they have a website at:
**oops, can't post the link cause I am too new here.
Type Natural Way MIlls into your internet search engine and it will come up.

We place an order once every 2-3 years and hubby drives over to pick it up. They are 4+ hours from us but the shipping costs more than the fuel to drive there and back.

We are picking up an order this week, so I had the prices handy.

This year's order:

200# Hard Red spring wheat berries $17/50 lbs (.34 lb)
50# Soft white winter wheat berries $15/50 lbs (.30 lb)
400# Hard white spring wheat berries $15/50 (.30 lb)
100# Rye berries $13.50/50 (.27 lb)
200# whole yellow corn $14/50 (.28 lb)
50# Pearled Barley $19/50 (.38 lb)
50# Green Split Peas $10.75/25 (.43 lb)
100# Durham wheat berries $16/50 (.32 lb)
100# Lentils $57.50/50 (1.15 lb)
25# Golden Flax seed $23.75/25 (.95 lb)
50# Steel Cut Oats $32.50/50 (.65 lb)
50# Whole Amaranth $82.50/50 (1.65 lb)

This is all certified organic, btw.

Interestingly, the wheat prices are almost exactly the same as they were in Dec, 2007, and the prices of some items have actually gone down since then.

Hope someone else can use this info.

Kimba
middle river hmm..my old stomping grounds!!! there is also a headerite (spelling is not correct) near Glyndon and they have a store along hwy 10,,I have not been there but I am going next time I go to Fargo as my aunt lives only a few miles from there and loves their store.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We make our living from Azure Standard so I'm partial to them! We deliver Azure products to the outlying areas in Washington state that are not on Azure's delivery route, delivering to several hundred people monthly. What I don't get from them I get from Costco and that constitutes ALL my shopping.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seaspray said:
Anyone have any resources for Florida? We're in the Melbourne area.
Welcome!
Sorry, I don't even know where to get stuff in my area. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around storing 2 years worth of provisions. I try to get a years worth of stuff from my garden every year, but...I'd need a pallet of toilet paper just for hubby (I use family cloth, but man, that guy can use the tp).

Oh, for spices, hit the Indian and Asian places. My son bought a cup or more of allspice for $1.98. We used to get Jasmine rice in a 25 lb bag for $17, I think, from the local Oriental supply place.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Seaspray said:
Anyone have any resources for Florida? We're in the Melbourne area.
Welcome!
Sorry, I don't even know where to get stuff in my area. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around storing 2 years worth of provisions. I try to get a years worth of stuff from my garden every year, but...I'd need a pallet of toilet paper just for hubby (I use family cloth, but man, that guy can use the tp).

Oh, for spices, hit the Indian and Asian places. My son bought a cup or more of allspice for $1.98. We used to get Jasmine rice in a 25 lb bag for $17, I think, from the local Oriental supply place.
There is an Azure group in Topeka, but I bet you have one even closer.
You just have to log into www.azurestandard.com (email only) and look over the list of drop points.
Most people just store 1 years worth, using and replacing either monthly or up to twice per year.
Always store what you eat, and eat what you store.

www.cookingtf.com has lots of resources for how much and what to store.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, Paula, you are always such a wealth of information!

I have to admit, I keep having visions of things - one sister who had a freakish flood from a ditch, ending up with 4' of water in her basement where she had all her stuff stored. Ruined everything of course. She said she started crying, then laughing when she saw many unwrapped bars of Ivory soap floating on top.

The other sister had 50# bags of wheat stored under the kids beds that ended up so buggy that she pitched it all.

A neighbor gave us a little kids wagon loaded up with food that was so ancient that I threw it away when it was dark and he couldn't see what I was doing. Juice cans with bulging ends, etc. After both of them died, the family said there were enough jars of pickles to feed a family of 5 for their entire lives, a closet full of bags of sugar, ruined by a long time leak in the roof, and on and on.

Okay, enuf...I do understand that there are wonderful storage containers now. And the key thing is to "Always store what you eat, and eat what you store". I would think that I'd find the balance after a while.