Cackling Ranch - A journal of things and stuff.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I finally had the big cry. You know the can't breath, can't stop cry? Cried to sleep in my husband's arms Thursday night. I feel lot better now.

I keep catching myself doing things that I would do for Maya. Leaving alfalfa uncovered so she can munch, closing the front gate when I'm just going for a walk so she doesn't get out, I even mixed up her breakfast this morning. That stung a little.

I have a lock of her tail I'm going to have made into a bracelet and keychain. Bracelet for my mom, key chain for me.

Tonight I will tell her story.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is!!!

When I was out watching the goaats I thought, I'll just work on this while it's shady.

NOOOO.

It was almost 100, if not more than 100, all day today. Never checked but it was HOT HOT HOT.

I didn't go out to feed everyone until 7, it was way to hot to feed before that. No one would've eaten anyways.

Got a call from the vet today, the last fecal I dropped off shows dropped FEC's on the girls. GOOD. It's WORKING!

I also got 2 jalapenos and 3 cherry tomatoes out of the garden today, they didn't make it inside.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My garden is struggling with this heat..

2 whole tomatoes, 2 jalapeno, and 4 chilli peppers today.
19399876_10154653421148837_5325342559483393707_n.jpg

On the bright side all of my "junior" hens are getting ready to start laying. Little faces are turning red, combs and wattles are appearing, and I STILL don't have nesting boxes built. OOPS. They're so cute.

Anyone know how to sex Cochins? I've never had them before and I think I have 5 roosters and 3 hens but I'm not sure.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a random cochin as my extra bird in my order this spring. Pretty sure it's a roo mostly based off the fact that it's squaring off with all the other cockerels. Otherwise, NO idea!

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been milling it over for a while now.

My husband and I talked about it in depth. Losing Maya was a wake up call.

I can't wait to start riding again. I've been buying all new tack for Xena, Secret will use Mayas old tack, because she's a monster and nothing I have fits.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to do what is right for you. My first love is horses too. I know it was a hard decision to give up your goats, but you have to take care of you first. You were pulled in too many directions and something had to go.

I love your new horses, they are beautiful.

Our new boy is looking good, fat, slick and sweet. He is perfect for the grand kids, calm, gentle and almost spook free. I like him because he is 13 hands and with my crapped out knees, it is a struggle to get on 16 hand horses anymore. Last time I rode him, he got a serious study on a big wooden box out by the road used to keep dogs out of the trash. He never spooked, but just stopped and studied it before moving on. Love that boy!

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@baymule I know Joe is a Cremello, but he reminds me of Mama (My few spot App mustang mare.)

Post coming, I'm just going to copy it from the other forum I posted it on. :hide I'm lazy like that.

The garden isn't doing as well as I would have hoped this year. We have nothing to can and it's coming to the end of the realistic growing season. It's about to start getting hot and they don't really like the heat that we get here. My tomatoes have only produced one or two here and there. I think I'm going to give up on the garden this year.. soon...

The chickens have been drug over to the compost pile and are having a field day digging for bugs and turning my compost for me! I'll move their tractor next week or so and let the compost rest but it sure looks rich and pretty in there right now!!!

When DH gets home next we're going to start working on our pallet barn. We have a plan to build a 12x20 barn and put 4 horse stalls in it. It may take us a few months to collect all the pallets but I really enjoy the idea of us building something together again.

Once we get done with the barn we are going to get started on a round pen for the horses I'm training.

Life is looking up again. Its nice to be back in the saddle.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMG_2350.JPG
I know it's been a while since I've posted. The new batch of chickens are finally starting to lay so I had to throw together my old coops.

I didn't get pictures but we built feeders and waterers out of old Tidying Cats cat litter jugs. The waterers are the cup style, I got a 6pack for $12. Total cost for new coops and feeders/waterers $12! I recycle everything.

Here's one of the coops with its new inhabitants

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

The second pen has my bantam Cochins, right now frizzled and smooth hens are all together with a gold laced rooster and a black rooster. The third pen will have my Mottled Java and Marans hens with a black jersey giant rooster. My layer girls.

I've got three pens left to build! One for my Polish, one for my game hens and Kraienkoppe rooster, and one for my Bantam RIR.

This is my favorite hen, Pocket.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

We're putting in new cabinets in the kitchen right now, too.

When I get a chance I'll fill y'all in on all the happenings, including the snake that got a cat, dog, and horse all in the same day. That was a big vet bill that really put us back.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMG_2370.JPG
So something told me to go check on the chickens.

We lost 6 chicks.