Can you believe some people?!?!?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you do confront him or report him, be prepared for escalation. That type of jerk will often start acting WORSE in order to prove to himself that you and your opinions aren't important. He might start throwing garbage into your yard when no one is around, or something. We had a similar neighbor, and they started doing things like throwing DEAD cats in our yard; and one time I was washing dishes and I realized someone in their house was trying to shine a red laser into my eyes! Tree branches broken, even things as petty as moving the waterer so a part of the yard didn't get watered. Their kid would throw rocks at our dogs and our kid... I used to pray that they would win the lottery and move, lol.
Eventually a tall fence was built, and that helped.

S

sunsaver

In my neck of the woods, animal cruelty is against the law. That a-hole would be in jail right now if i had seen him tossing kittens!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
2dream said:
I agree he is a jerk. But there is nothing you can do about that. You do have a choice though. Decide if you are willing to find his throw away cats homes or not. If you are willing to find them homes, ask him if in the future he will just bring them to you instead of throwing them out one at a time in your drive. If you are not willing to find them homes tell him to drop them off somewhere else. That is probably the best you can hope for, because honestly, we have already confirmed that he is a jerk, he dose not care about the cats. If you report him to AC all that is going to happen is he will be more careful how and where he drops them off or he will drop them over a bridge in a pillowcase or something similar. His madness will not change only his method.
This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about all day. I totally agree with this approach. I think this is what I (we) will do. If we need to take it further, we will do so, but after this conversation.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I make it a rule as an animal rescuer NEVER to make it easier for people to continually discard animals. Don't be his enabler. If you want to end the kittens being dumped, get him to spay the mother as opposed to offering to take further discards. Tell him you will take unwanted kittens ONLY if he will turn over the mama cats for spaying. Anything less is helping him throw them away. It is true that he will find another way to discard them. That would be HIS fault, not yours. If enough people report him, then perhaps he would be more likely to be caught and punished. That is just what I'd do, and I've put a lot of thought into this particular topic. I would support your decision no matter what you decide to do, you are the one being an angel and caring for the poor thing.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just put a note in his mailbox that says "I know what you did" and nothing else. Don't sign it or anything. Maybe he will get paranoid. :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I make it a rule as an animal rescuer NEVER to make it easier for people to continually discard animals. Don't be his enabler. If you want to end the kittens being dumped, get him to spay the mother as opposed to offering to take further discards. Tell him you will take unwanted kittens ONLY if he will turn over the mama cats for spaying. Anything less is helping him throw them away. It is true that he will find another way to discard them. That would be HIS fault, not yours. If enough people report him, then perhaps he would be more likely to be caught and punished. That is just what I'd do, and I've put a lot of thought into this particular topic. I would support your decision no matter what you decide to do, you are the one being an angel and caring for the poor thing.
I think that is a valid point, about telling him he needs to spay teh female or turn her over too. Hubby and I have talked sabout this. He is going to go over today, if he gets a break (NO pun intended :p) (it has still been crazy around here). I am too chicken of confrontation to do this by myself. But I am completelyupset over this. With everything else that is going on here, thanks to you all for helping me sort this in my (slowly functioning )brain.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Just a note to all of you who say report him. I would agree except. I live next door to people whom I have reported for numerous problems. And as much as I hate to say this - its not worth it considering I work and am gone a lot. They have 2 sons who have created lots of issues in my yard and abuses towards my animals. And as against the law as all this stuff may be, in my neck of the woods its all considered a minor incident and treated as such. So yes it will cause them a very MINOR problem but they will still be next door to me. And calling AC on them for the abuse they show to their own animals did not work either. Once again. They get a visit from the local law enforcement, talked to and the end. They are still my neighbors. Soooooooo.......now after years of battling this problem it was easier for me to just stop, let things settle, start being nice gradually. Now we have a very fragile relationship.
But my animals are no longer bothered. Things no longer disappear from my yard or outside fridge. And when they go out of town I feed their animals - its the only way I know their animals will not starve over a 3 or 4 day absence.

Around here - unless there are lots of really abused (bleeding, hoarding in filthy circumstances, dog fight etc) animals, nothing is done.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Just a note to all of you who say report him. I would agree except. I live next door to people whom I have reported for numerous problems. And as much as I hate to say this - its not worth it considering I work and am gone a lot. They have 2 sons who have created lots of issues in my yard and abuses towards my animals. And as against the law as all this stuff may be, in my neck of the woods its all considered a minor incident and treated as such. So yes it will cause them a very MINOR problem but they will still be next door to me. And calling AC on them for the abuse they show to their own animals did not work either. Once again. They get a visit from the local law enforcement, talked to and the end. They are still my neighbors. Soooooooo.......now after years of battling this problem it was easier for me to just stop, let things settle, start being nice gradually. Now we have a very fragile relationship.
But my animals are no longer bothered. Things no longer disappear from my yard or outside fridge. And when they go out of town I feed their animals - its the only way I know their animals will not starve over a 3 or 4 day absence.

Around here - unless there are lots of really abused (bleeding, hoarding in filthy circumstances, dog fight etc) animals, nothing is done.
I pretty much agree.

If you really care about the cats, handle it by talking in person and offering to help the situation.

It seems these days there are a lot of people mad about this kind of thing, but it used to be common place for farmers to cull unwanted cats and/or dogs by shooting, knocking on the head, or putting in a bag and dumping the bag in the river. All very ugly ways to handle it. Society has become more humane in recent decades and that kind of thing is frowned upon.

But having feral cats around isn't a pretty thing either......

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Just put a note in his mailbox that says "I know what you did" and nothing else. Don't sign it or anything. Maybe he will get paranoid. :lol:
I hear what you are saying, but don't get caught doing it:

18 U.S.C. 1725 states: "Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title"

I think it can be like a maximum $5,000 fine.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can understand why someone would not want to rock the boat and report abuse and fear being retaliated against. However, if everyone felt this way and did nothing, can you imagine what kind of world we would live in?