Can you believe some people?!?!?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd check to see what you can do about filing some sort of report. Having a paper trail is VERY important in finally prosecuting someone. Found this out the hard way....even if a crime is really, really bad (and tossing a kitten is bad enough, but I'm talkin' WAY WORSE) if there is no "paper trail" then it is a "first offense" even though everyone knows in their heart of hearts that this has been going on for years, he just wasn't caught....or a dozen or a hundred people were too afraid to come forward.

You may be able to file a report without him being confronted. I've had more success with State police around here than with local authorities.

Always carry a notebook and pen and before having ANY conversation (in person is best, but this works on the phone, too) write the date and time, then ask for the person's full name and ask for the correct spelling. Write it down. If you have a good experience with them, send a thank you and a note to their supervisor. If they take an attitude with you at any point, pause and ask for the name and spelling of their immediate supervisor and write it down. Then attempt to continue the conversation. It usually improves. But not always.

I learned these lessons the hard way. Wish I had the name of that jerk of an ADA with political aspirations. I'd ruin him.

Ooops. Ranting. Hope there is something useful in that rant.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I wouldn't confront because he'd step it up. What if he started doing something worse to the kittens because you considered giving to you abuse?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Animal control can be anonymous. What is to say that someone else did not see him throw a kitten into your yard? Are you so far from anyone else that no one else could have seen or happened to be in the area?

Had I seen that, I certainly would have called Animal Control, ESPECIALLY if I thought/knew that you had been needing to rescue a succession of kittens. It is not fair to try to use a family on the block as an animal control drop off site.

Dumping on you is probably what they are doing instead of getting their cat spayed and neutered. NOT FAIR.

Animals being thrown from vehicles is called animal abuse and also abandonment. That the animal is sick makes it even worse, it is abandonment and abuse of an ill animal. That is a crime and I would report it if I were you. If you say nothing you are just enabling him to continue this behavior. That it is your child's word against this person's does not matter. You still report it. Animal Control might use this information later to know who to look at next time there is a similar incident. You can ask them to let you remain anonymous.

I normally like to discuss things with my neighbors when there is an issue and I want to get along, but CRIMES need to be reported. If you were talking about them being inconsiderate about playing music too loud or letting their weeds grow too high or leaving junk in front of their yard, that is one thing. But you are talking about a crime, not just being a bad neighbor.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SD has it exactly. This jerk will not stop - why should he? - unless he's caught & confronted. He's gotten away with it all this time, so he thinks there are no consequences to his actions. Please try an anonymous call to AC at the least. :fl

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our property is on a corner of two country roads which arent' travelled very much. the jerk neighbour lives basically kitty corner to us. He is still about 1/4 mile away. The next nearest neighbours are about 1/2 mile in either direction. There was no one else around. I was near my son when he saw it, and By the time I looked up, I saw the kitten on the road, but the truck was gone. There is no way anyone else could have seen it. And we ran outside immediately afterwards, and I know he saw us in his rearview mirror. He would definitely know it was us. Which means we either confront him, or confront him with the authorities. It can not be anonymously.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents... You may have seen him once but that doesn't mean that he didn't dispose of an entire litter this way. You may have only seen him dropping the last kitten on the way home. They could be scattered all up and down the road. IMO a phone call is the only way to insure that the entire neighborhood doesn't wind up with an infestation of feral cats.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
WE believe the kitten we had last week was from the same litter. We have talked to other neighbours--we are the only one 'blessed' with kittens. :/

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd have to report him, no ifs ands or buts. This is one of those cases where I don't believe there is a choice. Anyone who abuses children, old people, or animals... they are the scum of the earth.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes I do believe people can be horrible but if your son saw this, then truly it is up to you to put this right.
You should have called animal control the minute it happened. When NO ONE does anything about situations, just ranting about the situation sure doesn't remedy it at all.

at least the kitty will be taken care of by you and that is a good thing.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I agree he is a jerk. But there is nothing you can do about that. You do have a choice though. Decide if you are willing to find his throw away cats homes or not. If you are willing to find them homes, ask him if in the future he will just bring them to you instead of throwing them out one at a time in your drive. If you are not willing to find them homes tell him to drop them off somewhere else. That is probably the best you can hope for, because honestly, we have already confirmed that he is a jerk, he dose not care about the cats. If you report him to AC all that is going to happen is he will be more careful how and where he drops them off or he will drop them over a bridge in a pillowcase or something similar. His madness will not change only his method.