Canning Dog Food From Offal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still put chicken necks in their dog food. They don't get it every day, plus I have canned liver and heart for them too.

There is a member on TEG that works at a rendering plant where they take EVERYTHING and render it for dog food. I love the glowing pictures of steak and whole chickens on the brightly colored dog food bags. Are people really so stupid to think that cleaned, ready for people to eat whole chicken, is ground up and in that dog food bag? If they knew that feather meal, which is high in protein, the feet, heads, guts, etc is what the ingredients really mean when chicken is listed on the bag, they would puke.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know about a thyroid in chicken necks but there is this little pouch I've always called the craw, that needs to be removed. it's at the base of neck right above then breast. Its much more pronounced in turkeys than in chickens, but both have it. To me its like a little flexible membrane pouch where they store food. There's always some food that they were eating in the little pouch. If not removed, it will make for a nasty tasting bird.

Edit... Well I was totally wrong on the name. It's officially called the crop. Strange how a guy (me) names things and calls them by the wrong name for years. I learn something new everytime i come here.

See pic
digestive-system-of-a-chicken.jpg

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to have an All American. My Presto canner will only take a single layer of jars. Has dial and weight. I really like the quality of the Presto. Previously, I bought a Mirro. Compared to the Presto, the Mirro is a piece of junk. I couldn't get the pressure right with the Mirro. I may take it out and play with it again. I'm guessing it would be total folly to be using 2 pressure canners on my gas stove at the same time.

I need to find someone who got the homesteading bug, bought all the equipment (including an All American) then found out that raising and preserving food actually involves sweat and work... and is looking to dump all their equipment!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We butchered roosters. I parted out some of them, so I had backs, necks, and wing tips for the dogs. I canned it yesterday and got 6 quarts, plus a quart of broth and rice. I put a half gallon of broth in the refrigerator. Still have a pen of old layers to do. I’ll can the meat and broth for us, backs, necks and such for the dogs.

70197719-4E4B-4BE5-9E8F-D735C112249A.jpeg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Would you believe the stinkers didn’t like it? They like chicken! They ate it anyway. LOL I have more of it in the freezer, cubed up. I need to try canning some mixed with chicken.

My dogs love liver raw but they didn't like it as well when canned up. I think the iron flavor of it comes out more strongly when cooked. From what I observed, a little of the canned/cooked liver went a long way with the dogs.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IN Wyoming, we lived close to I-80 - you could see our house from the interstate. In fact, my old dog used to stand at the fence and bark at the tiny little SEMI_TRUCKS as they drove down the highway - silly lab.
I was always a bit worried about the security of that location until I realized that 5 of my neighbors were military - 2 active military and 3 retired. All but one neighbor hunted and 3 neighbors belonged to shooting clubs. There really wasn't any cover around our place, anyone breaking in would be clearly visible to at least 3 neighbor houses. We all looked out for each other also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was clean out the freezer day and can for the dogs. I laid it out the night before, in the sink. Last 10# bag of chicken leg quarters, several bags of assorted chicken bones and parts from the last CCX slaughter and the last 3 quart bags of beef liver. I started at 5 AM and finished at 6:30 PM. I got 20 quarts of meat with a half cup of rice in each jar and one jar of broth. I put two half gallon jars of dog broth in the refrigerator, they will be used first. I have a lot more room in the freezer now. I found a bag of pork bones and gave them to the dogs, they enjoyed freezer clean out day!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, ya have to stock them up for winter! 😁 Does the other 6 bags need to be moved out to fit hog heads? OR does the freezer that died and neighbor resurrected make you have enough room now? Glad you did well with the hogs but, you'll need more than 3 next yr so you and family can have enough for yourselves! Did you render lard this year?

If you have sold this beef your bringing in, does that mean you will get two now? :hide

I loved the pork I raised :drool:drool But I'm still dealing with their holes in some places. It's a surefire reason I don't have some right now! Tempted because so good.
I have an empty freezer that died and the neighbor resurrected. It currently holds 2 bags of chicken. LOL

After I deliver pork, I'll ask if they want one next year, half or whole. My self imposed limit is 6. I don't want to over crowd them.

I always keep the fat and render the lard. One of my buyers wants to buy some fat, I priced it at $3 per pound in 5# bags.

Only 1 steer this winter. Probably raise 2 next winter. My son pointed out that I could raise a steer in the Pig Palace, so I did last winter. It was a trial run to see what expenses would be. Then a pork customer said they wanted a half, then they told friends about it and their friends are buying the other half. We'll probably eat up the steer I raised last winter by time to buy another one next year.