Canning Dog Food From Offal

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A couple of the chickens will be frozen whole, but most will be pieced out. We eat mostly white meat, so that will all be frozen - some with bone and skin, but most will be boneless-skinless. The thighs and legs will be canned. Probably equal amounts canned as chicken, chicken and dumplins base, and chicken stew base. Canned chicken meat is so handy and yummy.
Broth, of course. All the bones will be cooked down into broth and that will be canned also.
Any fat I can scrounge off them will be rendered and stored in the fridge/freezer. I have developed a taste for chicken fat in my cooking. I love frying potatoes in it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, since your dogs are not eating butcher day treats frequently, I doubt it would send them into a state of hyperthyroidism chronically...unless you are feeding them your home canned dog food daily throughout the year?

I don't hesitate to give my dogs any part of the animals we butcher here, as it's usually a seasonal dietary change~lasts a couple of weeks, if that~ and not part of their daily regimen, like those feeding an exclusive raw diet of chicken necks.

I'm wondering just how much thyroid material goes in our commercially derived pet foods? I'm betting quite a bit.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, have I ever told you how much I enjoy your posts, both here and on TEG? Always interesting, lots of wisdom and just fun to read. :hugs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, have I ever told you how much I enjoy your posts, both here and on TEG? Always interesting, lots of wisdom and just fun to read. :hugs
Thank you Bee! I always enjoy your posts too.

Ever wondered what happened to the male chicks that had the misfortune to hatch on a commercial farm, where the desired produce is future laying hens? ;)
DOG FOOD!!!!! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am back to canning for the dogs. I have saved up packages of pork liver, beef heart, I found some chicken livers and gizzards from a year ago, a rabbit from 3 years ago and some pork that I deemed too old, especially when we have a LOT of pork in the freezer.

Last Friday I canned 7 quarts, Saturday I canned 4 quarts, today I have done 7 quarts plus 5 quarts are processing now. I mix it all good with cooked rice, plus the rich broth the meat is cooked in. So that will make 23 quarts of dog food. My husband splits a quart between 3 dogs, mixed with their kibble.

We have 40 Cornish cross, so when we butcher them and part them out, there will be necks and backs to process for the dogs too.

I need to make another round through the freezers, and make sure there is nothing "old" in there. LOL The offal had kinda stacked up on me, getting all caught up now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Latest posts