Canning dried beans

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is there any water left in the jars or do the beans possibly have more absorbing to do? I always soak my beans in a large pot, rinse them, then heat them up and spoon them into the jars when I'm ready to can. If they've soaked for 24 hours, they are as big as they are gonna get, so I fill the jars and put boiling water in to cover them, then can.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Free - I think next time that's the way I'll do it too. I'll go check how much water is left to be absorbed (if any) and go from there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, when I made that recipe I soaked in a big pot to. Then filled by her measurements. My jars were not full enough after processing. Such a bummer. I think after a big pot overnight soak you could probably get away with filing at least 3/4 of the way full.

:idunno

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I can lots of beans - kidney, pinto, black, october, chick peas, canellini. I like them for the convenience....and they taste much better than commercial canned. Although I'm home all day, it still suits me best to open a jar or two at times rather than soak, etc.

DH & I also like chick peas and black beans on salads. The texture of a canned bean suits that purpose best to us.

Regarding cost....depending on the price of dry beans, I can do them for around 30 - 35 per pint. Canellinis run about 55- 60 per pint because the dry beans cost more than most, at least around here.

That doesn't count the cost of canning jars....but you'll reuse the jars over & over. I have jars I've canned in for 25 yrs. Their cost has been spread out over so many jars of foods that it doesn't matter anymore.

I use the BBB directions - soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. I just hold them at a very low boil (barely) for the 30 minutes. They come out great...all varieties. Not mushy.

And BTW, I've tried the first method - putting beans in a jar, covering with hot water, and immediately processing them. It's not as nice a product. The outer skin on the beans stays harder, and they turn thick in the jar. Some crack open and almost "burst". Edible....but not nearly as nice.
This sounds great! I have canned dry beans by soaking them overnight in water and then just add them to the jars and pour hot boiling water over them. They turned out okay but needed to be cooked just bit after opening to get the juice thicker and the beans softer. Next time I will try cooking them for 30 minutes and then canning. I just like to can dry beans for the convenience. If I take a hankering for a bowl of beans today I don't have to wait hours and hours before satisfying my craving...lol...

Also, when canning your beans do you add any seasonings such as ham or bacon to the jar or do you season them after you open them. I added bacon and some country ham to some of mine and I like them that way.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, well mine are now out of the canner and cooling in the kitchen. The method I used was 3/4 cup of dry beans in a pint size jar, water to the top and a teaspoon of ACV for good measure. Overnight they swelled up to the top of the jar. This morning I drained the jar, rinsed the beans and spooned them back into the jars. I left about 1" head room (so had beans left over) and filled the jar with boiling water. Then into the canner for 75 mins processing. They LOOK good now but of course I haven't tried any yet. I will keep in mind they may still be a little hard and will try to leave time to cook them for 30 mins or so before using. Even if I do have to do that, it will be SO much more convenient than realizing I need beans for dinner and don't have any soaked. Heh - its all an experiment right? If these are a little hard, next time I will probably cook for 30 mins BEFORE processing.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
Also, when canning your beans do you add any seasonings such as ham or bacon to the jar or do you season them after you open them. I added bacon and some country ham to some of mine and I like them that way.
I do up a lot of black beans plain, so they can be used in recipes in place of a store bought can of beans. This way I can make both refried beans and a black bean chocolate cake from the same batch of beans.

I do separate batches of beans with flavorings. I do multi-bean soup with ham, and Boston Baked Beans with salt pork. I've done beans for mashing for bean paste by adding onions and garlic, then adding salt and pepper when mashing, but now I mostly ferment my bean paste. If I want a quick batch of bean paste for burritos or nachos, I just season a jar of plain beans and mash them.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
kimnkell said:
I do up a lot of black beans plain, so they can be used in recipes in place of a store bought can of beans. This way I can make both refried beans and a black bean chocolate cake from the same batch of beans.

I do separate batches of beans with flavorings. I do multi-bean soup with ham, and Boston Baked Beans with salt pork. I've done beans for mashing for bean paste by adding onions and garlic, then adding salt and pepper when mashing, but now I mostly ferment my bean paste. If I want a quick batch of bean paste for burritos or nachos, I just season a jar of plain beans and mash them.
Thanks for the info freemotion. That sounds like a good plan.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
freemotion said:
kimnkell said:

Thanks for the info freemotion. That sounds like a good plan.
I'm too late really....but ditto. I can some beans plain, and some seasoned so I have them both available for different purposes.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
Okay, well mine are now out of the canner and cooling in the kitchen. The method I used was 3/4 cup of dry beans in a pint size jar, water to the top and a teaspoon of ACV for good measure. Overnight they swelled up to the top of the jar. This morning I drained the jar, rinsed the beans and spooned them back into the jars. I left about 1" head room (so had beans left over) and filled the jar with boiling water. Then into the canner for 75 mins processing. They LOOK good now but of course I haven't tried any yet. I will keep in mind they may still be a little hard and will try to leave time to cook them for 30 mins or so before using. Even if I do have to do that, it will be SO much more convenient than realizing I need beans for dinner and don't have any soaked. Heh - its all an experiment right? If these are a little hard, next time I will probably cook for 30 mins BEFORE processing.
Congrats on your first effort. Hope you enjoy them!