Canning Soup Question!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I got some black eyed peas today on sale. I would like to make soup with bacon and sausage but I don't know how long I should process it. 75-90 minutes seems to be the norm for soups in the Ball book. Do I just go ahead and make the soup like I normally would and then can it? Since 90 seems to be the common max, should I go ahead and process my soup for 90 minutes? Can you over process soups? I want to be able to can them so if Im in a pinch for supper I can just pop open a jar and all I would have to make is the cornbread. I have 2 2lb bags and I would like to use 1 bag. I think it would fill four or five pint jars. What do ya'll think?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is to figure out which ingredient needs the longest time and use that time. So 75 for pints sounds about right....double check the time for canning pork, since I don't want to run downstairs and check my canning notebook....

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
After reading through my canning book, it seems all of the recipes that use meat and veggies (soups) say process for 75 minutes for pints and 90 for quarts. Thanks!