Canning Supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have lots of jars, don't like the regular mouth quarts, but I'll use them. I try to use those for stuff I give away. LOL That way if I don't get them back, it doesn't hurt my feelings. I need lids, both sizes. I've found some and bought them, but I want a 2-3 year supply.

lol @baymule we should set up jar exchange as we are about the exact opposite, we have wide mouth jars we gladly give away and hope they don't come back (most years, but this year is different, we are writing down all jars we give away so we can prod people into getting them all back to us). i think we have a few cases of empty wide mouth jars in the garage but it's a heck of a drive from here to Texas. :)

in checking local stores they're all still pretty bare on the shelves for any lids or jars, but we're all set for this year so i just hope by next season they start having lids on the shelves again.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we did manage to get some regular lids today, no wide mouth lids available though and the TP section was not completely wiped out but close to it so we also picked up a four pack to fortify the supply here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have half of the wide mouth lids I need and only 3 boxes of regular mouth lids. Canning chicken broth today. Have LOTS of chicken pieces in freezer to can for the dogs. I like seeing quart jars full of dog goodies.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
120 year old house about 900 square feet. Ventilation is open windows and doors and breeze will blow through house. It works fairly quick if there is any wind outside. If i open southern back door and northern living room window. Works with east living room window and west front bedroom, or east kitchen and west back bedroom.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husbands Irish setter would get such bad farts sometimes. When he would stand up on his bed, look at his butt with disgust and then leave the room, we would follow ... if they were bad enough to chase him out of the room, we didn't want to know how bad they were. :sick :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zeus jumps up and runs away whenever he farts. Even if he's dead asleep. It's hilarious to watch.

Poor Athena just can't handle wheat. Found that out early on when she was a puppy. That was horrible. Then learned quickly that I had to read treat labels because whining dog in pain and with runs sucks.

Neither dog will eat dog biscuits now because they are used to meat treats. I trained a food prejudice into them on purpose. Protects Athena at the vet or pet store.

The only grain treat they like are those Nutro crunchy treats with fruit. It's mostly rice and the smell makes me want to eat them.