Cast Iron

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if it is textured and a little bumpy that is normal. if you look at the link i posted above you'll see the brand new pan is a bit bumpy, that is ok. it will gradually change through time as it is used and as the seasoning builds up on it.

you can put a tuxedo on a goat, but it is still a goat. cast iron is not stainless steel they're different pans with different uses and IMO shouldn't be treated the same. some overlap for sure, but on the whole i don't use one for the other.

if the issue is how it was used before and it needs to be scrubbed and cleaned up a bit that is a different topic entirely. i can't tell without looking to know what's happened.
I would love to see a goat in a tuxedo :D

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i took some time to read up on spun iron, checked out their website and also watched a few videos on reseasoning (i had the time :) ).

basically, the pans you have are not cast iron pans, so they will look different. that is what they are. they are iron, it is just a different process of making them which makes for a lighter pan comapred to cast iron.

do they season like cast iron pans? it looks like it.

here are the instructions for care on the website:

note i do not like the method they use for quick seasoning as i don't want smoke in the house so i baked my pan the first time i seasoned it. since it didn't have a wooden handle i didn't have to remove it before baking it. otherwise since i did that i've only used it and not worried about minor imperfections if a bit of seasoning flaked off.

i don't know what you've done with them for cooking and cleaning up after cooking so perhaps the problem was with something you cooked or how you cleaned them but really we can't know since we didn't see the pans when you got them or what you've done to them. personally, i'd not worry about it if they cook as they should. the only thing i'd change was if they were sticking when i was cooking.
I never cook tomatoes and usually fry my eggs or sometimes meat and mushrooms I them . So I've not put anything into them to cause these patches. I feel I've wasted my money big time.

When possible I will go back to enamelled iron. The last I bought were with a ten guarantee but they chipped i only used wood utensils

Good old rip off Britain there's no guarantee here.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My pans were sent back last week and I emailed a few days ago but didn't hear anything back so I called this morning.

It wasn't a very pleasant CONversation firstly the lifetime guarantee, I was told about when I purchased is now a manufacturing guarantee :/ and because I had them in my home for six months there's a lot of confusion in their foundry

I only really used the frying pan. The casserole was used a couple of times with a liner too bake bread. As for the saucepan it was never used.

I was so put off by the discoloration of the frying pan and rash I was breaking out in I couldn't trust the other items.

When I could get a word in too tell this once polite lady all this, she very firmly told me it's not possible too get a rash from their perfectly made pans

She said I will have something back but didn't say how much.
I'm guessing she's under pressure because she wasn't a very polite lady at all this morning, raising her voice as I tried too speak (rude)

I don't take to kindly to being told that I didn't have a reaction, when it's obvious that there was and don't like it so much when people raise their voices when I've made the call in the first place plus didn't get a reply from the email I'd sent.

So I can't trust wrought iron anymore I alread have one super thick iron casserole that I'm tempted too try but these last pans have really scared me and cost me more than I can afford too lose

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll be homeless at the way I'm spending out on pans. All I wanted was to be able to cook.

I've bought the hexclad not realising it contains aluminium :thif that's not bad enough I find out after purchasing, the aluminium is inside the actual part you cook on.
This metal had been known to leach into food then brain and causes alzheimer. I'll be frying on a brick soon.

I spent nights searching up and then made this massive mistake..

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have this set if pans from china. the cooking surface is rough to say the least. they were a gift and are very near dog bowl status but i decided to take a grinder with a flap wheel to it. you can see a couple knicks, it takes skill for sure.

i got this one smoothed out and in the oven. we will see how itdoesView attachment 17553View attachment 17554

i've never had a problem with a rougher surface as the oil and seasoning will eventually fill things in and even it out. no problems with sticking or anything. just use it.