Cast Iron

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only have old stuff. Properly seasoned and never washed it is the original non-stick frying pan. I have a 5" one that I use to make a Dutch Baby pancake in the oven.
I wash mine after each use with palmolive green dish soap and water and scrub with a stainless steel pad. Then I rinse well, put back on the stove and heat up to dry. Once dry cut the flame and I oil the entire pan and a lid with olive oil, spread around with a paper towel. Leave on the stove to cool off and then put away. Been doing it this way for long as I can remember.

My son had a pan that was all nasty, he said someone told him to never wash it. I had him put it in a outdoor fire until it turned red. The next day it was cool and clean as could be. He's been washing and oiling as I said above and seems to work for him also.

Just a tip for consideration :) people got their own way of caring for cast iron, that work well for them.

I'm interested what others do. Caring for cast iron seems to be the biggest "issue" people have with cast iron. One of my other son's uses vegatable oil and says olive oil will go rancid. I've never had that problem, so can't say.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wanted to add you got me looking now. Someone, I don't recall who gave this 8" one to my wife.

It's a Wagner Ware made in Sydney. It's very light weight seems cheap compared to lodge. As you can see it most definitely needs to be heated up in a camp fire, than cleaned and oiled with olive oil. It may survive being heated in a camp fire or maybe it won't because it's so thin. But I'll give it a try next time I have a camp fire.

It's a nasty one... looks like one of those never been washed kind.
View attachment 17153

View attachment 17154

View attachment 17155

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Looks just fine to me. :idunno

The inside part where you cook is smooth

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This skillet has instructions for seasoning it on the bottom. It’s one of my favorite skillets.

3516739D-C798-4176-AA4C-7734DCC75D6F.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that @Hinotori !!! I had no idea. No, it is not as smooth as my old skillets, but it does ok. The really old skillets are thinner and much lighter weight than new ones. This one is somewhere in between. I’m so happy to know the history of my skillet! Thanks!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If all the iron pans I've seen I have never seen them turn patchy like these. They say they are pure iron 🤔

i took some time to read up on spun iron, checked out their website and also watched a few videos on reseasoning (i had the time :) ).

basically, the pans you have are not cast iron pans, so they will look different. that is what they are. they are iron, it is just a different process of making them which makes for a lighter pan comapred to cast iron.

do they season like cast iron pans? it looks like it.

here are the instructions for care on the website:

note i do not like the method they use for quick seasoning as i don't want smoke in the house so i baked my pan the first time i seasoned it. since it didn't have a wooden handle i didn't have to remove it before baking it. otherwise since i did that i've only used it and not worried about minor imperfections if a bit of seasoning flaked off.

i don't know what you've done with them for cooking and cleaning up after cooking so perhaps the problem was with something you cooked or how you cleaned them but really we can't know since we didn't see the pans when you got them or what you've done to them. personally, i'd not worry about it if they cook as they should. the only thing i'd change was if they were sticking when i was cooking.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since these pans were not true cast iron, but a mix of metals, you might be ok with true cast iron. Just research your next purchase. Lodge is a good brand name here, don't know if you can get it there. If you find a good brand name for cast iron, maybe buy a small piece to try so it will be less expensive.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've searched for the return address as I put it back in its original packaging as soon as I read it contained aluminium inside the pan.
Is the aluminum sandwiched between the layers of stainless steel or is it the actual lining of the inside cooking surface? I’ve never heard of a stainless steel pan with an aluminum cooking surface. But good quality stainless pans will have an inner layer of aluminum because aluminum conducts heat better than steel. It might say something like “3 ply” or “5 ply”. But the aluminum layer will be sealed inside the stainless steel layers, and not ever touch your food. Can you check on the box to see if it says anything like that?

Latest posts