Cast Iron

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:clap:clap:clap you will use it and have it forever

i've had the other one for about 10yrs now and while it doesn't get used very often, when it does get used i often think how much nicer it would be if i had another one so i don't have to play musical pans. i can heat up some sausage or whatever in the higher rimmed pan with a cover and then it will stay warm and cook when i'm making pancakes. it will work really nice for grilled cheese, etc. too. :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
20211219_141734.jpg

two rounds of seasoning.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops - nobody told me I wasn't supposed to use cast iron on mine. I use CI and I use the canner too. :hide
My canner isn't one of those double-deckers so it's not too heavy. I almost hope mine would break - I need a good reason to replace it, lol.
Hammer? OOPS!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do the white elephant gifts as well. We get to trade gifts, maximum is 3 trades per gift. It's lots of fun, saves everyone time and money. Most adults have what they want anyway and trying to buy a gift for so many people gets expensive. We pound the kids with presents.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
likely ham beans on the wood stove later this week also.
Screenshot_20211227-005646~2.png
I used my out door (has the legs) oven for beans for thanksgiving. The next morning the wood stove did less than putting hot tap water in there. Even with throwing it on the fire outside the next day they were not done in time. I even cheated and stuck a weed burner under it to get it boiling. Make sure to stir when doing that.lol Another option that we thought about was crockpot day1 then out to fire on get together day.

Last year we did canned beans and made a variety of baked beans and that was done in no time.

Latest posts