Cast Iron

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
some pot & pan makers use a blended meatal,, you never know what you are cooking into your food

one reason for cooking on iron to begin with is to get some into the food. metal recycling does happen and will there be some trace other metals in there? sure, but i doubt enough to worry about. even iron ore taken from the ground is going to have some trace other metals in there. not likely enough to make any difference or they'd not use it to begin with (or the ore would be specifically mined for those other metals since they are of more value than iron). also any trace carbon sources are not likely to be an issue either.

if you want to worry about metal contaminations then there are much worse things than what you might get from an iron pan. mercury, radioactives, lead, some forms of chromium. those are the ones that seem the most common and those all have known sources which are either from burning coal, using leaded gas, various water system issues (lead pipes or lead in solder used to put together copper pipes) or old paints or improper disposal of car batteries or other batteries and any issues from old landfills before they put liners and drainage systems in.

other metal sources can come from all sorts of sources but to me the one i would discourage would be using municiple sewer sludge on farm fields or gardens. since many larger cities combine sewage from industrial and residential sources that can add more metals to the sludge. in the future this will be a bigger issue as we have to figure out how to be sustainable and you can't indefinitely keep adding certain metals to the gardens or farm fields and have that be a good thing.

medical procedures can also be a source of some trace contaminants. drugs in human or animal wastes can also be an issue, but those are not often a problem for recycled metals.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i took some time to read up on spun iron, checked out their website and also watched a few videos on reseasoning (i had the time :) ).

basically, the pans you have are not cast iron pans, so they will look different. that is what they are. they are iron, it is just a different process of making them which makes for a lighter pan comapred to cast iron.

do they season like cast iron pans? it looks like it.

here are the instructions for care on the website:

note i do not like the method they use for quick seasoning as i don't want smoke in the house so i baked my pan the first time i seasoned it. since it didn't have a wooden handle i didn't have to remove it before baking it. otherwise since i did that i've only used it and not worried about minor imperfections if a bit of seasoning flaked off.

i don't know what you've done with them for cooking and cleaning up after cooking so perhaps the problem was with something you cooked or how you cleaned them but really we can't know since we didn't see the pans when you got them or what you've done to them. personally, i'd not worry about it if they cook as they should. the only thing i'd change was if they were sticking when i was cooking.
I never cook tomatoes and usually fry my eggs or sometimes meat and mushrooms I them . So I've not put anything into them to cause these patches. I feel I've wasted my money big time.

When possible I will go back to enamelled iron. The last I bought were with a ten guarantee but they chipped i only used wood utensils

Good old rip off Britain there's no guarantee here.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
some pot & pan makers use a blended meatal,, you never know what you are cooking into your food
I've informed them I'm not happy with them and offered to send them back.

They must think I've landed off planet nothinky. These are not iron they are more like tin with a bit of iron. Thin as a crisp

I reminded them these are under guarantee and told them that I'm not unaware on using iron pans and season them with oil purchased purely for them

Thanks for your input :)

Changing the subject.

I hope this move goes well for you. But I have too say I love the look of your kitchen and porch I hope you won't miss them

Last edited:

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My pans were sent back last week and I emailed a few days ago but didn't hear anything back so I called this morning.

It wasn't a very pleasant CONversation firstly the lifetime guarantee, I was told about when I purchased is now a manufacturing guarantee :/ and because I had them in my home for six months there's a lot of confusion in their foundry

I only really used the frying pan. The casserole was used a couple of times with a liner too bake bread. As for the saucepan it was never used.

I was so put off by the discoloration of the frying pan and rash I was breaking out in I couldn't trust the other items.

When I could get a word in too tell this once polite lady all this, she very firmly told me it's not possible too get a rash from their perfectly made pans

She said I will have something back but didn't say how much.
I'm guessing she's under pressure because she wasn't a very polite lady at all this morning, raising her voice as I tried too speak (rude)

I don't take to kindly to being told that I didn't have a reaction, when it's obvious that there was and don't like it so much when people raise their voices when I've made the call in the first place plus didn't get a reply from the email I'd sent.

So I can't trust wrought iron anymore I alread have one super thick iron casserole that I'm tempted too try but these last pans have really scared me and cost me more than I can afford too lose

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since these pans were not true cast iron, but a mix of metals, you might be ok with true cast iron. Just research your next purchase. Lodge is a good brand name here, don't know if you can get it there. If you find a good brand name for cast iron, maybe buy a small piece to try so it will be less expensive.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You mentioned a rash - makes me wonder if they were nickel cast iron. Those can be up to 30% nickel. :eek: And some people get a nasty rash (dyshidrotic eczema) from nickel exposure.
I had a rash plus spots that wouldn't clear up. I was worried and my friend was going to take pictures too send too my doctor, then I I realised that it began when I started using the frying pan, that was a huge relief because there are so many worse possibilities that symptoms like that could have indicated.
Just found reviews but can't read them

This lady insists these pans are high quality iron and that no one one would ever have an allergic reaction too them. Previously she assured me they would assist me and not to think of buying another pan but only emailed me again assuring me these were the top quality. After a while I did what I thought was my right and returned them

I'd hate too have a face on argument with those people, polite when you're paying but I the end not nice at all.

They gave me the impression that they believe they are always right and no one has a right too question their decisions. Maybe I'm the only person ever to be unhappy with their qaulity service. They were packed beautifully I returned them in a similar paper but didn't have their box .
20211124_152423.jpg

I've encountered people like this before and they used too intimate most folk including myself.
Maybe it's my old age but I don't let people do this to me so easily today. I guess I'll have wait and have to cut my losses if they refuse to reimburse me

I've had to spend more money again too buy another pan , I'm not going to risk the non stick due to the toxins but risked a stainless steel this time. 🙏 this doesn't have the same effect.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pans were sent back last week and I emailed a few days ago but didn't hear anything back so I called this morning.

It wasn't a very pleasant CONversation firstly the lifetime guarantee, I was told about when I purchased is now a manufacturing guarantee :/ and because I had them in my home for six months there's a lot of confusion in their foundry

I only really used the frying pan. The casserole was used a couple of times with a liner too bake bread. As for the saucepan it was never used.

I was so put off by the discoloration of the frying pan and rash I was breaking out in I couldn't trust the other items.

When I could get a word in too tell this once polite lady all this, she very firmly told me it's not possible too get a rash from their perfectly made pans

She said I will have something back but didn't say how much.
I'm guessing she's under pressure because she wasn't a very polite lady at all this morning, raising her voice as I tried too speak (rude)

I don't take to kindly to being told that I didn't have a reaction, when it's obvious that there was and don't like it so much when people raise their voices when I've made the call in the first place plus didn't get a reply from the email I'd sent.

So I can't trust wrought iron anymore I alread have one super thick iron casserole that I'm tempted too try but these last pans have really scared me and cost me more than I can afford too lose
Good on you for being polite but firm during a difficult conversation. Maybe look at the Lodge brand, they seem to be very good.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸