Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the true test of a skillets non stick ability lol
20211211_154846.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so am i the only one who scrubs cast iron skillets with steel wool and soapy water and then burns it dry? when i was a kid thats all we used and thats how we did the dishes. seems the internet does it differently

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so am i the only one who scrubs cast iron skillets with steel wool and soapy water and then burns it dry? when i was a kid thats all we used and thats how we did the dishes. seems the internet does it differently
I think,, what ever works for you is a good thing, dont change it, the skillets are prefect the way they are- if you change they may never be the same ☺️

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That method works too! If mine needs to be scrubbed - I scrub it. If it can be wiped clean - I wipe it clean. But I always dry it on the stove and wipe it with some oil before it gets stored.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't season my cast iron. Scrub, soapy water, and air dry. Sometimes I put them in the oven to dry them faster. Sometimes I wipe with oil if I won't be using it soon. No fuss. I use a lot of fat in my cooking so a nonstick pan is not an issue at all. :gig

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've searched for the return address as I put it back in its original packaging as soon as I read it contained aluminium inside the pan.
Is the aluminum sandwiched between the layers of stainless steel or is it the actual lining of the inside cooking surface? I’ve never heard of a stainless steel pan with an aluminum cooking surface. But good quality stainless pans will have an inner layer of aluminum because aluminum conducts heat better than steel. It might say something like “3 ply” or “5 ply”. But the aluminum layer will be sealed inside the stainless steel layers, and not ever touch your food. Can you check on the box to see if it says anything like that?

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have several old cast iron skillets, about 40+ yrs old....also a good amount of real heavy stainless. Love both. Then some big, tall, enameled pots....30 qt of spaghetti sauce anyone? :lol: those were a couple hundred each about 25 yr ago! I'd fight anyone trying to take my stock of pans! 😁 :love my canner is aluminum but never cook in that, only can. Now the insta pot has stainless inside pot, I can pressure cook there. Soooo much and it screams for me to cook more! :old :hide need people to for, other than just myself to feed.
Mine Scream too😂 Im so used to cooking for 25 or more, now its just a few of us. Which is how my "collection" grew.
I purchased some Smaller cast, that way when i "fill the pan" its still only about 6 serving