CC's not so fine WINE diary

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But hey she's smiling, laughing and all happy now. Happy wife, happy life :)

So true! And yours was made with love.:love

The making of these spirits takes a lot of "watching" :lol:

FEM & I like the put in a bottle under sink style. BUT the taste of what you do. We live way too far apart to share! :( Guess I'll stick with what I get from demos. Less choice but, some good wine. :idunno No love.:rolleyes:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So true! And yours was made with love.:love

The making of these spirits takes a lot of "watching" :lol:

FEM & I like the put in a bottle under sink style. BUT the taste of what you do. We live way too far apart to share! :( Guess I'll stick with what I get from demos. Less choice but, some good wine. :idunno No love.:rolleyes:

I'm just a wine making learner... I learn best by doing and making mistakes.

I can say making wine is a lot easier than making beer, but it takes more time and is a lot more hands on. Stirring the top 1/2 of the must twice a day, once in the morning and evening. The hardest part so far for me, is trying to determine how to tweak the must to keep the yeast happy and healthy. The hydrometer is the best "tool" and I would consider it mandatory at least for me it is.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wine classification/sweetness guide from the Missouri Winemaking Society Fair.

I. DRY WINES - Wines that have virtually no residual sugar (less than 0.5%). Specific gravity is < 1.000. Wines that have completed fermentation (not stopped by intervention of the winemaker) and have not been back-sweetened.

II. OFF-DRY WINES - Used to accompany a meals main course or drink by themselves. These wines are not completely dry (may be back sweetened or may have early termination of fermentation), but are too dry for a Social Wine. They have up to 1% residual sugar and less than 14% alcohol. Specific gravity is 1.000 to 1.010.

III. SOCIAL WINES - Primarily enjoyed in the evening or afternoon with snacks, but may be used with meals or any time. They typically have 1% to 4.0% unfermented sugar with less than 14% alcohol. These are commonly known as "semi-dry" or "semi-sweet" wines. Specific gravity is 1.010 to 1.025.

IV. DESSERT WINES - Full bodied, very sweet wines that are normally served at the end of a meal or with desserts or snacks. These wines contain more than 4.0% sugar and may contain over 14% alcohol. These are commonly referred to as "sweet" wines. Specific gravity is > 1.025.

V. SPECIALTY WINES - Includes sparkling (carbonated) wines, appetizer or cocktail wines (such as sherry, vermouth, Madeira and port), honey-based wines, and other wines which do not fit the other categories. A fortified wine (Port, Sherry or Madeira) is a wine that uses distilled spirits to increase alcohol level.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How clear is clear enough to bottle? Well, its obvious, that it's not clear enough yet. But... I guess - good things come to those who wait. There sure is a lot of "waiting" when your making wine, so this stuff better be good :)
IMG_20190711_232601.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It may not be perfectly clear yet - but what a rainbow of goodness to come! So much potential there, lol!

Yeah... "Potential" lol. I have 3 more I want to make, Peach, Concord Grape & Watermelon. But I only have so many glass jugs and carboys. I'm going to need bottles, lots of wine bottles.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Better get your rose bushes planted so you can make Rose Petal Wine. A friend made some and it is really good.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Better get your rose bushes planted so you can make Rose Petal Wine. A friend made some and it is really good.

I would like to try rose petal one day, along with rosehip, daylilly, dandelion & honeysuckle. I'm a beginning learner, need some experience with berries and fruit first.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You better get some more carboys and bottles on order, lol!
I'm picking up some more tomorrow, so far I gave 23 gallons of wine in the making. I reckon another 15 gallons should be enough for Christmas presents for all my Daughters and daughter in laws, plus the start of a wine cellar :)

Last edited:

Latest posts