CCX

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning I slopped a coffee can full of mash into their feed tray. Despite their hunger protests, they snubbed their beaks at the feed slop. I watched a few mins and thought to myself what a bunch of Stupid Birds.
IMG_20201206_111548968.jpg

So then I went and got some dry feed and put it on top and they went hog wild like every other morning.
IMG_20201206_111807388.jpg

I just checked in on them and watched a few minutes. They are eating the mash now, but there sure is a lot of beak wiping going on.

Buckets are fermenting and no over flows, so it's all good...

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You did just the right thing, CC! Pretty soon you'll not have to top it with the dry and they'll go crazy for the FF like they'd always had it. Now....you may want to zip tie a piece of welded wire over your dish so they can't walk in it because soon you may see feet with hardened feed dried on them, especially when using the finer ground feeds and feeding it that moist.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You did just the right thing, CC! Pretty soon you'll not have to top it with the dry and they'll go crazy for the FF like they'd always had it. Now....you may want to zip tie a piece of welded wire over your dish so they can't walk in it because soon you may see feet with hardened feed dried on them, especially when using the finer ground feeds and feeding it that moist.

You and @farmerjan said the same and I know I need to do something, that's just the bottom to one of these feeders. I have the other part for it but honestly it leaves a ton of feed in the bottom and I want it cleaned out at the end of the night because it may attract mice. I may just put it back together and hang it a few inches off the top of the hay IDK yet.

The bottom on these type of feeders needs a cone shape in the center so all the feed runs out, not a little dimple which does nothing to help the movement of feed to the sides. I'll work on it tomorrow sometime and see what the space between my ears comes up with.

Screenshot_20201206-180310.png

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those feeders are pretty much crap, IME. Lots of feed waste going on and acts as a rodent attractant.

For feeding FF...and this will be right down your alley...you need a trough style feeder. With your woodworking skills and tools this is a no brainer for you. My favorite, easy to make and cheapest version is a V shaped trough like the old hog feeders.

I can't find the pic of my current one but I found one on Google that resembles the troughs I normally make and use and am currently using. My current one has a bar across the top of it to make it easier for me to move and to discourage hens getting into the trough and walking in it, thus dominating it.

1607303333836.png

I have a tiny one just for chicks and it has a piece of fencing across it so they can't walk in the feed.

With those big hungries, you'll need a trough style feeder. I made one once for some meaties from a piece of rain guttering but didn't bother to put a wire across it as they could easily clean their feet out on the grass....

1607303523759.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those feeders are pretty much crap, IME. Lots of feed waste going on and acts as a rodent attractant.

For feeding FF...and this will be right down your alley...you need a trough style feeder. With your woodworking skills and tools this is a no brainer for you. My favorite, easy to make and cheapest version is a V shaped trough like the old hog feeders.

I can't find the pic of my current one but I found one on Google that resembles the troughs I normally make and use and am currently using. My current one has a bar across the top of it to make it easier for me to move and to discourage hens getting into the trough and walking in it, thus dominating it.

View attachment 15135

I have a tiny one just for chicks and it has a piece of fencing across it so they can't walk in the feed.

With those big hungries, you'll need a trough style feeder. I made one once for some meaties from a piece of rain guttering but didn't bother to put a wire across it as they could easily clean their feet out on the grass....

View attachment 15136

Thanks Bee that's a great idea and besides it doesn't need to last long. Those couch potatoes got 7 more weeks.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the trough idea. I use a tub and they lay in it and eat. I always have to sprinkle dry feed on the fermented feed to get the dummies to eat it. Like Bee says, it doesn't take long for them to catch on.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made a couple trough feeders out of rain gutter. Be sure it's plastic. FF will corrode metal, and pick up nasties from the metal. I cut wood ends to block off the ends of the troughs, and put a raised dowel that would spin across the top to help keep them from stomping in the FF.