Cecilia's Journal

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
More burp cloths. Got it. I had no idea the baby couldn’t sleep swaddled… is it dangerous as a newborn? I’ll add sleep sacks to the list.
I was told when we had DD7 (which was something completely different than with DD15) that there is the risk of parents swaddling too tight which can affect breathing. Also, if the blanket comes undone then can, potentially, move and it cover their faces. I would swaddle when I was right there doing some chores or just relaxing but if I left either one for along time, no blankets of any kind.

To each their own though, you will get TONS of advice but do what works best for your and your family.

I was a worry wort--still am, so says DH.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depends on the baby for pacifiers.

Some babies the pacifier teaches them to nurse differently, so that when they latch onto the breast it 1. Isn't as effective, and 2. Is incredibly painful.

Sometimes if you wait until after nursing is well established, then the pacifier isn't as likely to mess up how they nurse.

And yes, different babies have different sucking needs. Some have very low sucking needs and need to be encouraged to nurse. And there are those with high sucking needs that also use sucking as a comfort tool.

Everyone is different.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depends on the baby for pacifiers.

Some babies the pacifier teaches them to nurse differently, so that when they latch onto the breast it 1. Isn't as effective, and 2. Is incredibly painful.

Sometimes if you wait until after nursing is well established, then the pacifier isn't as likely to mess up how they nurse.

And yes, different babies have different sucking needs. Some have very low sucking needs and need to be encouraged to nurse. And there are those with high sucking needs that also use sucking as a comfort tool.

Everyone is different.
Hence why I am on the fence. I don’t want it to hurt.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hence why I am on the fence. I don’t want it to hurt.
I agree with @Alaskan get a good nursing latch established first and then use a pacifier if needed. I never had any problems with it hurting while nursing, but it all stems back to a good latch and suck. You will think it is too much for their tiny mouths but it isn't!

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with @Alaskan get a good nursing latch established first and then use a pacifier if needed. I never had any problems with it hurting while nursing, but it all stems back to a good latch and suck. You will think it is too much for their tiny mouths but it isn't!
I’ve got pretty tiny boobs, I don’t think it will be too much 🤣

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our first 2 had nursing issues, kid 3 and 5 were easy to feed, kid 4 was a "happy to starve" baby.

:idunno everyone is different.

You might not need the pump or bottles if you aren't working.

La leche League was super helpful for us. Maybe they do virtual meetings now. But you could definitely buy their book. Oodles of good info in there.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would like to build colostrum before babies are here, and if insurance is giving it to me why the heck not?
I know nothing about pumping while pregnant. And am not sure about the helpfulness of building colostrum stores. :idunno

I do worry a bit about pumping causing uterine contractions, and so wouldn't want to start until the babies were full term.

I know pumping is at times used to help birthing, and can be used to help the uterus contract after labor....

But.... I am lost as to the reasoning is all. If babies are having trouble latching or nursing at first.... then you work on the latch, or if things are truly difficult then yes you pump. In this case a hospital grade pump is the best choice since it does a much better job.
Then the pumped milk is put in a bag, a tube goes from the bag to the breast, tube taped to breast, baby goes on breast. Baby nurses on breast and gets the pumped milk from the tube.

This way the stimulation of the baby on the breast helps the breast produce more milk, also helps to teach the baby to nurse better/more effectively, so hopefully soon the tube can be stopped and baby is fed fully on the breast.