Cecilia's Journal

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Plan on your falling not going away after delivery (plan for the worst, expect the best). If this happens you will be spending a lot of time on the floor.

Soft rug, or a large blanket to lay on the floor. It's for you too, not just babies. Pillows or whatever you need to be comfy on the floor.

Baskets for diapering supplies and baby clothes so you can keep them on the floor where you can reach easily.

Mini-fridge and a snack shelf near your nursing spot. You are going to be so very hungry. As a rule, children are only hungry or fussy when their mothers are trying to eat.

A bouncy seat, swing, etc, near your nursing spot. Couches are not a safe place for babies.

Subscription to Wondrium or some other streaming service that stimulates your mind, and a device you can watch hands-free. smartphone stand, or TV or something similar.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I know nothing about pumping while pregnant. And am not sure about the helpfulness of building colostrum stores. :idunno

I do worry a bit about pumping causing uterine contractions, and so wouldn't want to start until the babies were full term.

I know pumping is at times used to help birthing, and can be used to help the uterus contract after labor....

But.... I am lost as to the reasoning is all. If babies are having trouble latching or nursing at first.... then you work on the latch, or if things are truly difficult then yes you pump. In this case a hospital grade pump is the best choice since it does a much better job.
Then the pumped milk is put in a bag, a tube goes from the bag to the breast, tube taped to breast, baby goes on breast. Baby nurses on breast and gets the pumped milk from the tube.

This way the stimulation of the baby on the breast helps the breast produce more milk, also helps to teach the baby to nurse better/more effectively, so hopefully soon the tube can be stopped and baby is fed fully on the breast.
100% agree. Pumping is used to stimulate labor. Seems like a bad idea. Also 100% agree with an SNS

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Colostrum is something that you can use past the newborn stage as a simple remedy for things like the cold, flu, and even covid. It’s also useful for babies with asthma in helping their overall health. My midwife doesn’t want me to start pumping until 37 weeks so that uterine contractions aren’t an issue.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plan on your falling not going away after delivery (plan for the worst, expect the best). If this happens you will be spending a lot of time on the floor.
Good lord that thought had never crossed my mind.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Colostrum is something that you can use past the newborn stage as a simple remedy for things like the cold, flu, and even covid. It’s also useful for babies with asthma in helping their overall health. My midwife doesn’t want me to start pumping until 37 weeks so that uterine contractions aren’t an issue.
Absolutely.

Colostrum is powerful stuff.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I would like to build a storage while we still can.
I totally get that. My mind boggles at the extra work, but yes it is pretty powerful stuff.

Breastmilk in general is amazing. It changes as your babies change. It even changes if your kids get sick. And breastmilk is great for eye infections or ear infections.