Cell Phones???

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so forget my original thread about cell phones.... Someone start another about modern conveniences and lets do a challenge to see what we can live without. Then the world will really think we all belong under a log. I read that great article in MEN about the lady who was sitting in her kitchen grinding coffee by hand with a wind up radio and lantern.

I wished I was her.

So While cooking dinner the other night I started to think what I could really do without. My goal this month is to not use my microwave. Not to hard but just one little step.

So now I have no cell and no microwave. Whoo hoo!!!!! :weee I feel so free.
I kind of enjoy our hurricane power outages for that reason. Boiling water to get the dishes done, etc. Makes me feel a little more connected to what's important.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the only problem with "doing without" during regular days----the rest of our life doesn't slow down or stop.

during a power outage usually the area stops. everyone stops and slows.

when we choose to do without but continue our hard fast paced life, ugh, then you got the problems. I need speed...LOL

I don't use the micro alot at all. BUT the few times I need it, oh, yes, I am not giving it up..LOL

it is a good idea though to experiment and see what we can do without ---without adding to our stress levels..:p

for me just hanging clothes on the line was a pain. who has the time, I don't....but I made that time. Going from washer to dryer was SO FAST and easy. that time to hang is not long, but long enough that I noticed it....noticed I had to take them off the line too...:D

so the moral of the post---while working on what we can easily do without---try to find ways to make the good old life simpler and easier so we make time to do other things!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I kind of enjoy our hurricane power outages for that reason. Boiling water to get the dishes done, etc. Makes me feel a little more connected to what's important.
Ice storm of 2009 took a toll, but it was Gods will - I prayed that the weak would of saved food rather than meth crack, but then who are we to judge.

Yes miss TanksHill I agree with you 100% - The Ice storm of 2009 shut me down for several weeks, cooking noddles on a wood stove and drinking water that I had save months earlier,

I went without for many weeks and never missed it, good god what did they do in 1899 to survive and spawn children ... us.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
xpc said:
TanksHill said:
Ice storm of 2009 took a toll, but it was Gods will - I prayed that the weak would of saved food rather than meth crack, but then who are we to judge.

Yes miss TanksHill I agree with you 100% - The Ice storm of 2009 shut me down for several weeks, cooking noddles on a wood stove and drinking water that I had save months earlier,

I went without for many weeks and never missed it, good god what did they do in 1899 to survive and spawn children ... us.
Actually PunkinPeep wrote that. The closest thing we have to ice storms here is So. Ca. is uhhhhh.. Drizzle and fog. We have had a couple power outages in the past 10 years mostly due to people hitting poles.

XPC were you afraid of those people who had not prepared for the storm? I would have been in full lock down mode. Not only are they desperate for the essentials but they are on drugs. That is not good.

BBH there are always spikes in the birth of babies about 10 months after black outs. I think most people agree with you.

lol, gina

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
XPC were you afraid of those people who had not prepared for the storm? I would have been in full lock down mode. Not only are they desperate for the essentials but they are on drugs. That is not good.
I think it was Wifezilla who first brought up zombies and got chastise for it but she was absolutely right. Take electricity and phone away from seemingly civilized people for more than a day and they will turn into the walking dead ravishing whatever lies in their way. These people try to eat our brains because they certainly don't have any of they're own.

In the original Dawn of the Dead movie wasn't it farm house where they first showed up? and bad luck would have it that nobody had a cell phone.

P.S. nine months later

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know I must admit, I think I was one who thought Wifezilla was a bit off her rocker for her comparison to zombies. Sorry Wiffey!!! But now I see the connection. It is a bit scary.

ps... 40 weeks sometimes longer = 10 months. I guess it just depends on the point of conception. But thats a whole nother thread. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think we all have already done some little adaptations into low tech living that takes more time....like making our own laundry soap, hanging out clothing, etc. It really is easier to just buy a jug of detergent or throw clothes into the dryer, but we don't because it saves us money.

So...imagine how many other things we could adapt to that are less time management but cheaper. Would we really have to be hustling around all the time to make money if we had little outflow?

Think about it....if all these googaws are such time savers, why are we still rushed in our lives? We are more rushed than ever and we have every time saving modern convenience available!

We no longer schedule whole days for washing clothes, whole days for doing all the baking, whole days for airing out bedding, or making clothing....but we are still frazzled, rushed, hastled in our daily routine!

Could it be that we are so busy because we are a slave to our possessions? :old We have to hustle to make money to pay for them, don't we?

When we lived off-grid, the world was still out there as busy as can be, it wasn't shut down and off-grid also. And we went to jobs, school and church just like everyone else on the big ol' spinning ball! ;)

Reaction score
It used to be that people got land for free from the government in exchange for homesteading it. So all they had to worry about was working 16 hours a day to bring in the crops and stay alive. Then on the 7th day they partied.

I bet you if you asked a guy plowing a field with an ox and a single blade plow he might think a tractor would come in handy.

We all have different lifestyles. I look at SS as a good skill to have just in case of worse case scenario.