Cell Phones???

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
It's funny how we never needed them before, but you are so right. What if you got kicked and your leg was shattered. Use the phone and call for help. Beats Lassie every time. When I was a kid I didn't mind walking 2 miles in the snow if my car broke down. Now I would probably freeze to death. I still think texting is beyond stupid, but cell phones are kind of like the horseless carriage was.

Just think of all those movies where the phone line gets cut and you can't call for help. They could have used a cell phone.
all those movies they never got a signal or the battery died and got killed by the monster..LOL

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I got a cell phone years ago, when I was harly ever home and SO was workimg constuction jobs. We needed a way for the school to contact us, if something happened to stepson. i got rid of the landline, since I didn't see the sense in paying for a phone I rarely used.
I like texting to DD and my sister. I don't use the phone that much. I recently switched to ConsumerCell, They have no contract and start al low as $10.00/ month. You can change your plan any time you want. You can check your minutes usage on line and add or subtract. So like last month when I was making lots of calls, I upped my plan by $10.00. They minutes alos roll over. So I will be checking my minutes in about a week and reduce it, because i probably won't have used as many minutes.
I am visiting my folks and there is no cell phone coverage here at all.
I like that I can carry my phone anywhere and can easily call the police when neccessary, which I have done. I have also been able to call AAA or a friend when I have been stranded. I even call SO sometimes, kind of using it like an intercom. We have an acre and sometimes we cannot find each other :lol:

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if i cover something already covered.

Hubby and i used to be cell phone only when we lived in an area where we had good coverage, and we both worked outside the home. Now that i stay home during the day, and the coverage isn't very good where we live, we both let our cell phones expire. Now i only miss it when i am out and about and want to call someone or look up a phone number or whatever.

For long distance, i signed up with Total Call, which is some kind of associate with Sprint. I don't do a LOT of calling, but i do call long distance several times a month and never worry about how long i'm on the phone, and my long distance bills have been $6 - $7 per month. Pretty dang good, and better than i've ever had before.

I used to use Virgin Mobile for my cell phone because i hate contracts. And i liked them for the most part. Their phone are good, but if you switch phones, you can't just switch out your sim card like you can with other companies. You have to completely re-input all your information into the new phone. And that turned out to be quite a time commitment. And their customer service was a little hit and miss. I do agree that if you want to get a cell phone for occasional use, a prepaid seems like a good idea. No monthly bill, etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Didn't you know? Bee lived under a log out back in the woods until she was about 20. :lol: :gig :lol:
:plbb :D :lol:

It's called "homesteading"~ to the uneducated! :tongue Now days they call it living "off-grid". You know....Self Sustaining, Self Sufficiency, Self Blah Blah Blah....... :old

:gig :lol:

DianeB, it was by choice, honey. ;) We weren't forced to live that way, my folks chose to homestead a place that had never had utilities and were determined to be self-sustaining. It was their Mother Earth News years back in the 70s and 80s. We built our own log cabins, hauled water from a spring, walked a mile to the hard road~up hill both ways in snow up to our armpits~you know, the usual! ;)

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Farmfresh said:
Didn't you know? Bee lived under a log out back in the woods until she was about 20. :lol: :gig :lol:
:plbb :D :lol:

It's called "homesteading"~ to the uneducated! :tongue Now days they call it living "off-grid". You know....Self Sustaining, Self Sufficiency, Self Blah Blah Blah....... :old

:gig :lol:

DianeB, it was by choice, honey. ;) We weren't forced to live that way, my folks chose to homestead a place that had never had utilities and were determined to be self-sustaining. It was their Mother Earth News years back in the 70s and 80s. We built our own log cabins, hauled water from a spring, walked a mile to the hard road~up hill both ways in snow up to our armpits~you know, the usual! ;)
Don't mean to make you feel bad or weird. That statement came from someone that is trying to determine the best way to stream digital internet video to her TV. Not use to always roughing it. I did live in West Africa for a few months without running water. But we did have TV and phone. Sorry, don't think I could live without a TV :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No worries! :) I don't feel bad or weird when folks make fun of, or question, how I was raised. I feel rather unique and accomplished that I have, and still can, survive without modern conveniences, can grow, kill and preserve my own foods, can make do in hard times. It makes me versatile and useful in most any situation! :thumbsup

After all, we are on a self-sufficiency forum, aren't we? :)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
No worries! :) I don't feel bad or weird when folks make fun of, or question, how I was raised. I feel rather unique and accomplished that I have, and still can, survive without modern conveniences, can grow, kill and preserve my own foods, can make do in hard times. It makes me versatile and useful in most any situation! :thumbsup

After all, we are on a self-sufficiency forum, aren't we? :)
:thumbsup

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I agree with all and have a crippled phone myself

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We are all QUITE proud of our Bee and how she was raised. :)

If you ever have a "how did they do it when...? " question, she usually has the answer and has had the experience to help US all through it as well!

Most of us here don't take offense easily either. That is why we all play so nice together! :love

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so forget my original thread about cell phones.... Someone start another about modern conveniences and lets do a challenge to see what we can live without. Then the world will really think we all belong under a log. I read that great article in MEN about the lady who was sitting in her kitchen grinding coffee by hand with a wind up radio and lantern.

I wished I was her.

So While cooking dinner the other night I started to think what I could really do without. My goal this month is to not use my microwave. Not to hard but just one little step.

So now I have no cell and no microwave. Whoo hoo!!!!! :weee I feel so free.