CheerioLounge - Desert Dreamin'

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, the area is prepped for the chicken relocation project. Now we just have to wait for this much needed rain to stop. It rained all night and has been pretty steady today and is expected to continue through tomorrow. I love it!! Last year we hardly got any winter rain and the spring wildflower bloom never happened. :( Hopefully we'll get enough rain this winter to give us a nice bloom this spring. It's one of my favorite things about living here!

I'm trying to decide if we should wait to move everything until I'm ready to add the new birds or move them now and bring in the new birds at beginning of March. My thinking right now is to wait so that it's new territory for all the birds, rather than let my current flock get to territorial. :hu I don't want to bring in the new birds until it's warm enough for them to overnight outside. I really want chicks, but I don't have a brooder or space in the house to keep them for a month, so sometimes I think it may be better to get 4-6 week old pullets.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Woke up to pea soup fog this morning. It was really cool! Couldn't even see the chicken coop 40' away from the front door! I haven't seen fog like that since I moved from Long Beach more than 10 years ago. It burned off pretty quickly though once the sun rose.

So the rain has gone and has left behind beautiful, blue skies and a nice breeze. We got less than a 1/4" of measurable rain, but it was a nice steady rain and really gave the ground a pretty good soaking. That's about 1/4" more rain than we got last January. Last February we only got about 1/3", so I hope we can top that this year as I really am looking forward to a good wildflower bloom. :fl

Got a large pot of chicken soup cooking slowly on the stove and I'm going to make a batch of crackers to go with it. :drool

I've got one hen laying nearly every day and the others are starting to catch up. :clap I am so happy! :bun We're getting just over 11 hours of visible light daily, so it shouldn't be much longer before they are all laying pretty close to daily. :thumbsup

That's about it for now...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow
The thickest fog I've ever saw was in the mountains of North Carolina. It was beautiful, until I realized we were on the interstate, with a bunch of people who were probably freaking out about it! :gig

I have trouble grasping the desert idea of rain - 1/4" is a spit in the road here :lol: I hope it does keep up though Cheerio - that picture you posted before of the wild flowers were beautiful!

What kind of crackers are you making? I LOVE the recipe WBF posted for crackers - the guys gobble them up! I just bought some stuff the other day that you add into the dough, to make/keep them crisp. I'm going to try it on some soda crackers when I get my kitchen back ( soon, I hope :fl ).

:celebrate on the girlies! We were supposed to thin out our flock before winter, but left them - we are currently egg poor :p Just this past week, we've had breakfast tacos, hash and eggs, and scrambled eggs, plus we feed the pigs hard boiled eggs every day - and we still have 3 dozen in the frig :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Hi Cindi!! :frow

After I read back my post, I thought these people are gonna think I am nuts being happy about a 1/4" of rain! :gig But out here it's a pretty significant amount. When monsoon season comes (July/August) we pray it will only be 1/4"! :fl Last July we got just over 2" and that was enough to cause a flash-flood that wiped out the road and nearly took out my chicken coops! :barnie :rant

I am using WBF's recipe also. :drool Don't know yet what I'll season them with...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cheddar cheese and chives are delicious! :) Glad you two are getting some use of that recipe. I've about wore it out myself! :lol: I made the best hamburger buns EVER today...I don't have a clue what I did any different than any other time, but don't ya just love it when things occassionally just turn out especially good?! They're gone now....the guys were starving when they got home from church. I made some sloppy joe sauce from scratch and put it in some ground deer....it was yummy! I think hubs ate 4 sandwiches and R had 3. Poor DD and I only got one each. They keep that up I'm gonna have to build them a stall in the barn next door to "Sausage Pattie," the Berkshire sow. Then I can just slop em every day :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
They keep that up I'm gonna have to build them a stall in the barn next door to "Sausage Pattie," the Berkshire sow. Then I can just slop em every day :lol:
:lol: :gig Love it!!

I wish I had some cheese... I think it will be Italian herb and garlic today.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd love to have a churn too. My grandma has several, but she won't come off of any of them :/ :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Been swagbuckin' today... I wish my connection were faster. :( It makes it difficult to watch the videos and stuff. I actually qualified for some of the surveys for a change though. I'm lucky if I qualify for 1 out of 20! And I can't seem to convince any of my friends to sign up! :barnie I would love to get those matching bucks!

Latest posts