CheerioLounge - Desert Dreamin'

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Very nice page, and a good little introduction to your life!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excellent page - loved the pictures! What a gorgeous dog :) I am a total slacker ( which of course doesn't really go hand-in-hand with SS :p ) and have yet to set up my page. Enjoying what you've posted so far - I have never seen a coyote up close. Our next door neighbors at our old house told us a while back they saw a couple of them in their back field, but I don't THINK they came into our yard, although the dog did seem to be barking at the darkness for the next few nights. Truth is, our dog is prone to bark at nothing, so I ignored it :rolleyes:

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I like your page! And the homestead! Looks like you have plenty of room there! We had plenty of coyotes in Q. I ran one off the road right at the entrance to the RV park. There are washes very near the park and we could hear them almost every night. Your pup looks like he has a wise old soul!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks BB! :D

SSDreamin - Yeah, he's my baby... of course now he's 7 yrs old and has gotten kinda fat! :lol: I see coyotes out here all the time, but they don't usually get to close to the house. I think someone out here has been poisoning the cottontails and the jackrabbits so we have been seeing more vultures and coyotes. I wish these people would just learn to live with the little critters, you know "circle of life" and all that. :bun :bun

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
love it, and the wildflowers are beautiful!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a fat dog? Ha! :lol: In our family, he'd be skinnnny. Our dogs are really fat. But they're slowly losing weight and learning there's more to life than being a couch potato.

Wow, I guess I didn't realize that you were dwelling in the desert. I'm out on the prairie or rather in the middle of a wheat field, but there's a tiny creek at the back of our property, with a couple cups of water in it. When we have a good rain, that little creek takes on a boatload of water. I'm guessing you fight to keep every cup of water you can get at your place.

Your bedroom addition is going to be really nice! It sounds like you did the same as we did - bought run down property 'right', and scrounge for good stuff to use for building materials, etc. How far out from civilization are you? It looks like you have acres all around you.

Sorry about your garden, that blows. And the computer going 'poof'. Been there before. :/

And thanks for visiting my blog, too! One of these days I'll have to either learn how to use the digital camera or have DH take some pics.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
That's a fat dog? Ha! In our family, he'd be skinnnny. Our dogs are really fat. But they're slowly losing weight and learning there's more to life than being a couch potato.
Those pictures were taken at least 5 years ago. Here is a more current pic:
4399_solenew02.jpg

I'm guessing you fight to keep every cup of water you can get at your place.
You got that right! I wish we could afford to dig a well. There is purportedly an underground river running right through here. A neighbor 4 lots down the road hit water at about 200 ft if memory serves. But it also cost about 20 grand by the time they were pumping. We ain't got that kind of scratch!! I'd try to catch rainwater, but it rarely rains.

Your bedroom addition is going to be really nice! It sounds like you did the same as we did - bought run down property 'right', and scrounge for good stuff to use for building materials, etc. How far out from civilization are you? It looks like you have acres all around you.
That's the only way to go these days when you are on a fixed income! It is 10 miles to Twentynine Palms and the nearest grocery store. The most expensive grocery store in So Cal. It is 35 miles to Yucca Valley, the next closest town. There are 3 or 4 grocery chains with stores there and a Walmart. I prefer to go to Food for Less in Yucca. It's owned by Kroger and they have a better selection of bulk stuff. Although, what I save on groceries I probably spend on gas. You have Kroger in KS?

Sorry about your garden, that blows. And the computer going 'poof'. Been there before.
Such is life... I just can't bring myself to kill the damn squirrels. It totally goes against my nature. If I can't eat it, I won't kill it. I just need to figure out a more secure set-up. And the computer... :barnie 'nuff said!

Your blog is great. I can only aspire to such a task. I wish I had a camera besides the lousy one on my phone. That's why some of those photos look so grainy and cloudy. The lens is all scratched up!

Well, thanks for checking it out.

-Mike

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The pictures are beautiful! You have a really nice spot out there :D