CheerioLounge - Desert Dreamin'

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I also wondered about something slippery, like metal roofing pieces, ?, around the bottom edge. Do the ground squirrels jump very high? Anything metal is really going to add to the heat in the area.
I don't think they can jump too high, but If they really want in they will climb right over the fence. The smaller the mesh, the easier it is to climb. I sat out there one day and watched them climb up the fencing and then leap about 2 feet to get to the planter boxes we had built at waist level. They are very clever!

You know those cone-like collars that they put on dogs to keep them from licking wounds? That is what gave me the idea to put some sort of lip around the planter box. Something they can't maneuver over. If I build all the planters like this,

4399_garden02.jpg

then I probably wouldn't even need a fence. The fence was mainly to keep the cottontails and jackrabbits out. The only thing I would have to worry about with this plan is birds, and the bird netting will take care of that.

I love it! Y'all have got my mind working again and I think we may have just solved my garden issues! Now If I can just find the materials to build the necessary amount of boxes, we're in business!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Maybe take a few dryer sheets, cut them into strips and tie them on the garden fencing, down low where critters are? You'd have to replace them every so often. Since you don't get much rain, could you mix up some liquid and water, spray around the fencing every so often? Wonder how that would work...hmmmmm...
I'm gonna do a little research to see if I can find anything on liquid fabric softener. Maybe I can spray it around the chicken run to keep the critters out of there! I think the chickens would eat strips of dryer sheet. :p

Someone else mentioned planting very aromatic plants around the run. Rosemary was mentioned and I think maybe Thyme? Something to do with the aroma masking the scent of predators, so they stay away? IDK :idunno Time for some more research! Maybe I'll go peruse TEG and see if anyone over there has any ideas...

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Finally! A clear and cloudless day! It's so beautiful out here on days like this. Off to the west I can see the top of Big Bear mtn with it's fresh blanket of snow and the mountains surrounding our little basin just seemed to glow as the sun rose this morning. I guess I'm feeling a little poetic this am :p Sole and I just really enjoyed our walk this morning. He chased a few rabbits and I enjoyed the scenery.

OK. Gotta get off my butt and go rake out the chicken run!

Oh! I added a 2nd page to my personal page. This one is dedicated to the chickens. Check it out if you have a sec. ;)

Have a great day y'all!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The new page is great! I am a real slacker when it comes to documenting things with pictures - I haven't even gotten a picture of all the ladies (and the roo) together! I like the last picture. It looks like my ladies (I am so bad I didn't even name them :p ). I have been accused of spoiling them rotten but, they are very good to me, why shouldn't I return the kindness? :)
Enjoy the rest of your beautiful day! We are expecting snow here :(

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I love my chickens! If you're looking for me and can't find me, I'm probably sitting in the chicken run. The girls are very good listeners! ;)

Today I am going relocate the chicken poop pile to the former garden site and start a compost pile. I have been talking about it for weeks and after reading what y'all have been doing, I figure I better get of my a$$ and get busy. I have put an empty 5 qt ice cream container under the counter next to the trash and instructed "J" how to use it. Let's see how many times I have to stop him from trashing something compostable!! :rolleyes: I know sometimes he thinks I'm crazy, but when he's fed the delicious produce that I have grown next year, he'd better change his tune!

I'm sure I'll find something else to do after that. It's too beautiful a day to not be out in it! :weee

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Well I got the the poop moved and got a pretty good start on what I hope will be a very nice compost heap. There was a small pile of straw out at the garden site so I worked that in with the chicken poop and added some of the mulch from last years beds. It's a start!

While digging around out there, I found a 6" lizard that was sort of in hibernation mode. He was clearly alive but moving very slowly. I faced the sun and held him against my dark sweatshirt and he slowly started to wiggle around. Once he was alert, I tossed him in the chicken run for the girls. I had to give him some chance at escape!

Since the weather has gotten cold it had been a while since they'd been able to catch their own lizards and bugs. The protein is good for them and I ran out of BOSS and lentils. They LOVE lentils and split peas, which are both very high in protein. I have to soak the peas to soften them up, but the lentils they eat straight out of the bag. Another thing they love is canned tuna.

The cake I baked the other day is gone and I'm getting a hankering for something sweet. Pancakes! Yum! :drool

edited to correct grammar

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lentils? split peas? I never would have thought of that....although deep in my brain, I kind of remember reading it before. I'm glad you brought that up, that will give my girls some extra protein when they can't get out - like today! I'm in the middle of a small blizzard right now. :/ I love my birds, too. Their favorite treat is oatmeal and of course, bread. They're kind of picky about the bread, prefer white over whole wheat and will walk away from dark rye. Chickens are pretty interesting to watch.

Glad you got your compost pile started. Anymore, I just toss everything into the garden or planter beds. Then every so often I go pick up some coffee filters so they aren't flying all over the county.

Loved your page with all the pics of the hens. I get some of those same expressions here, too.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Do you give them cooked oatmeal? I bet that warms them up on those cold Kansas mornings! I bet it goes flying everywhere!

Our last frost is mid-March and I really want to have everything ready to just dig in and plant. I am so new to this, it's almost overwhelming! I have been trying to find other folks in similar climates to get some input. :caf I think I'm halfway through reading every post at TEG!!! :th

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually! Oh! Get this, I was talking to my 81 yr old neighbor and he thinks I am insane for trying a garden again. He says :old "even if you can keep the squirrels away, the heat is going to kill everything anyway." I just smiled and said "we'll see." Doggone it! I am going to prove him wrong or die trying! :tongue

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
I just smiled and said "we'll see." Doggone it! I am going to prove him wrong or die trying! :tongue
I love this line of thinking, I have proved it over and over :lol:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's right! Never give up, never surrender! :lol:

Maybe some light shade with sheets or something will be all it takes. You might have to do some experimenting, huh. Usually the neighbors are the ones that can tell you what's successful, right? Except that guy, we hope.

My hens like raw oatmeal. I think the last time I cooked some for the first hens, they were kind of freaked out about the steam coming off of it. It wasn't hot, but warm enough in the cold, cold coop to cause the steam. It was pretty funny.

I gave them some applesauce, oatmeal and lentils today. They just tore it up! (spoiled brats) :D