Chia . . . what???!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea to me you can't keep calling every single thing racist

if the person is of color and something is copied of them, it can't always be a racist situation

I agree with noobie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What a horrible waste of great food.

Yes...chia is food...very high in omega 3's...
"Chia, is familiar to most of us as a seed used for the novelty of the Chia Pet, clay animals with sprouted Chia seeds covering their bodies. Little is known, however, of the seeds tremendous nutritional value and medicinal properties. For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment."
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Some history of the chia seed
http://www.eatchia.com/historystats.htm

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Runners use chia seeds in smoothies to keep hydrated during long runs.
I know some outlets have discontinued carrying the Chia Obama.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think its stupid to call this racist when there are so many other avenues to consider racism

how about the shirts that were produced "the black president" with his pic that should be considered racist it should correctly say african american

when a white person says black person we are quickly corrected to say african american but yet its way ok to say white people instead of caucasian

how about we break it down to german american irish american and so forth and make everyone know exactly what they are suppose to say

this is a sore spot with me as i have 3 mixed kids

my ex a marine and black man which is what i call him but i guess you can say midly chocolate or african american actually told me when we moved he did not want to live near any niiiii.................s cause they bring down the "hood" go figure

i think all of its stupid when they take the smallest thing and call it racism. i have really dealt with racism and im white. i have dealt with a white man chasing me on foot while i was in a car to spit on me cause i was with a black man. i have dealt with a white man walking next to me just to me to say i was a niiiiii.......aaa lover. i have been rejected for apartments and thats why i own my house now. I have been stared at with my kids just because they are mixed. people need to get real now a days cause america is a melting pot. the biggest reason that white girls like black boys is because DADDY is racist and we are trying to piss DADDY off. We hear nnnniiii.......aa this and nnniiii....aaa that and it sparks our interest. whatever daddy hates we like!

i love my kids by far and can care less that they are mixed and wish i had their skin color so i wouldnt have to lay out. all 3 of my kids are by far gorgeous and get compliments anytime i am in public.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think its racist at all. You don't even need to use chia seeds.

I remember once at a camp thing I was sent to we did it using oat/rye and putting them it nylon stockings. Would it still be racist if it was silky smooth long greens? Someone would probably say so, no matter what. :rolleyes:

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
these are absolutey perfect white elephant gifts..

we still have those! they are so fun and a chia is perfect

however I buy the seeds in bulk and then soak them until all swollen up in a cold hibiscus tea ..it is like a very healthy bubble tea

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, I think it is all about where you draw lines.

For instance . . . do you think the children's story "Little Black Sambo" is racist?

I do agree that it isn't blatantly or disturbingly racist.

What I find objectionable (you can call it racist or not, depending upon your sensibilities) is turning a person's likeness into a "Pet." I find it a little more objectionable when it is a current political figure . . . even more so when there were no previous political "pets." And it just happens to be the first president with dark skin who is given this honor from the Chia manufacturers?

Honestly, I think all the Obama-obelia (merchandise) is over the top. But turning our president's likeness (if you can call it that) into a hokey gag gift is tasteless in my opinion. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup--I don't see it as racist---I see it as tacky.

but then again, tons of humor comes from the Presidents expense.

All the Presidents. Look back in the olden times, the likeness of Presidents past was used ALOT in gag gifts and such.

Guess we citizens buy tacky, funny things....and business does it to make money.

It was like this before and will be like this in the future.
:/