China and melamine again, this time people food.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On the internet you can find a very long list of things / items "made in america", I believe you can even contact the companies to buy from them. Maybe this is how we can show our support for our country?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DUH me
I never thought of searching made in america products on the internet.
DUH

thanks --I am curious now and will search up and check things over! thanks

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Problem is they may not have time to make slow changes if our economy crashes. Everything will be cut off for the excess immediately & then where will they be?

Roosmom, I have been looking at those sites more lately & if I have a real need to purchase something then I will turn there first.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Problem is they may not have time to make slow changes if our economy crashes. Everything will be cut off for the excess immediately & then where will they be?

********you are absolutely right. If there is a crash....honestly it will cull the weak from the strong. self sufficient types like us are strong. rule of nature in a way. what I can't buy with money I can make, bake, barter, scrounge and smile while doing it all..HA HA

One thing I do know...everyone makes their own bed and lies in it, no matter the future outcome.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah Karen you ahve all that TP to barter with don't you?:D I can barter eggs for things, but I will need the majority of them to feed us with. But as much wheat as I have I could barter bread too.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have always made an effort to buy American made products but as time goes by they become harder and harder to find. I would rather support my neighbors job as that would also benefit me. I feel like we our selling the soul of this country in the name of cheaply made junk and immediate satisfaction.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are trying to just buy less stuff regardless of where it is made. Surprising how little you can get by with.

A friend of my husbands said if everyone just stopped buying from WalMart and Costco alone, most of the freighters that are heading our way from China would turn around right in the middle of the ocean. Don't know if that's exactly true or not but it makes sense.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have been checking where items are made for a while, but truly we just try not to buy extranaous stuff in general. I believe in buying local when possible and supporting samller operations.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I was a furniture salesperson for a while and everything was made in China. There are local craftsmen but they are hard to find. Truth is, any big name chain store has 'made in china' written all over it. You really have to browse the yellow pages to find local wares.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah Karen you ahve all that TP to barter with don't you? I can barter eggs for things, but I will need the majority of them to feed us with. But as much wheat as I have I could barter bread too.

LOL-LOL-LOL HM!!

that TP I am storing...it will be worth its weight in gold...well more than that.....and no one is getting any......Muuuhahaha! evil aren't I?

farmer types always barter. if you have orchards and gardens and such, there is something always to trade for with another farmer...even if it is trading one type of variety of radish for another....LOL...at least it is something "different" to eat.

Latest posts