China and melamine again, this time people food.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you all seen this story about the new "country of origin labeling" for food? It seems grossly deficient (only applicable to certain food items, a kind of arbitrary list), but it's nice that they're at least taking steps in that direction.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
A lot of apple juices are made with apples from China. I refuse to buy any food product from there anymore. I read the labels very carefully. Makes me want my orchard up & running now!!!!!
I started checking apple juice the last time there was an uproar with china... what a mess - "Can't we grow our own APPLES?"

Anyhoo - I think its Juicy Juice is the only one NOT from China that I could find - their apples come from Argentina - and I'd rather buy their apple juice than china's.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I made a deal with a "cider guy" this year. He bought several bushels of apples from me for making cider and also bartered apples for apple juice. It is delish! I got a juicer recently and plan on making some juice of my own and freezing it in ziploc bags. This helps us sidestep one of the foreign food sources, as we love apple juice.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I made a deal with a "cider guy" this year. He bought several bushels of apples from me for making cider and also bartered apples for apple juice. It is delish! I got a juicer recently and plan on making some juice of my own and freezing it in ziploc bags. This helps us sidestep one of the foreign food sources, as we love apple juice.
I have two tree's full of apples - but no juicer!!!!

I actually cut up some today and they're in the fridge - till I either dry them tomorrow or make something with them - I wish to HECK I had a juicer.!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:
I got a juicer recently and plan on making some juice of my own and freezing it in ziploc bags. This helps us sidestep one of the foreign food sources, as we love apple juice.

I actually cut up some today and they're in the fridge - till I either dry them tomorrow or make something with them - I wish to HECK I had a juicer.!!
And I have a juicer (it was given to me) and really not sure I will use it. Where ya at wildsky, you can use mine. lol

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:
I got a juicer recently and plan on making some juice of my own and freezing it in ziploc bags. This helps us sidestep one of the foreign food sources, as we love apple juice.

And I have a juicer (it was given to me) and really not sure I will use it. Where ya at wildsky, you can use mine. lol
Middle of Nebraska - middle of nowhere reallly :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Karen, I have never meet anyone as evil as you are:lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Nicole being raised by a mother like you;)

Okay in all seriousness now. You are right you trade to get something different & not have to have the same thing over & over again. I am hoping to get some plastic & pvc to make some greenhouse tents so we can garden better all yr & not just root crops in the winter. I have a volunteer tomato that came up in a raised bed & I want to get fruit off of it all winter, along with my green beans & peas(I don't eat them, but everyone else does). So we would have fresh vegies to eat all winter if not much else other than eggs. Of course that would be after all the other meat in the freezer is gone.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Homesteadmom said:
A lot of apple juices are made with apples from China. I refuse to buy any food product from there anymore. I read the labels very carefully. Makes me want my orchard up & running now!!!!!
I started checking apple juice the last time there was an uproar with china... what a mess - "Can't we grow our own APPLES?"

Anyhoo - I think its Juicy Juice is the only one NOT from China that I could find - their apples come from Argentina - and I'd rather buy their apple juice than china's.
I wonder what happens to all those apples we do grow here in the states? Why they think they need to supplement with foreign ones is beyond me. I got a case of organic that is made with American apples & we are stocked on apple juice for awhile I also get juicy juice grape & white grape though. Never imagined that label reading would be this important in my life.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed, what type of juicer do you have to use for apples? We are looking at planting a couple of apple trees(they say there is a type that grows in the desert) & up north on our property(they grow great tasting ones up there). And I need a bigger juicer if I am going to do that. All I have is one you cut your fruit in half & hold it down on it. Any recomendations so I can add it to my list of wants(& needs)?