Cholesterol and all that mess!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very interesting this came up today! I was just told that my Cholesterol was too high today. My Dr.s biggest recommendation was to have a cup of oatmeal in the a.m. and a cup of cheerios in the afternoon. Also increase fiber. I almost can`t believe that as we eat alot of it . And more exercise. At least 30 min. 3 times a week. Trying all that until April. ....Also have 10 (yes 10) brothers and sisters who have the same problem. I really thought I was exempt.:/
Also fish three times a week. Salmon, Tuna or Herring....Or fish oil tablets but keep in freezer. (less fish smelling)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey FarmerChick, are there any veggies/fruits that your man likes? I'm sure there must be some. :) While a lot of us have certain preferences, I think a lot of people grow up not liking veggies because their parents cooked them all gross. :p

You could also try to trick him . . . make chili without any meat in it, things like that. Substitute turkey for ground beef, make portabello burgers instead of real burgers. Little changes add up and I suspect he won't miss the old foods, so long as he gets to eat them on special occassions.

I support you in wanting to help him without drugs. If it comes down to that, then so be it, but try changing diet and lifestyle first.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Inchy

no I will never discount western meds all the way. there is definitely a time and reason for meds when needed.

I hear you!

your Dad thru his good living bought himself alot more time of health, plus when having to have that surgery at an older age, well he was more fit to come thru fine from the procedure! that is wonderful!!!!

but yes it goes to show:

one can live to 100, smoke, drink, eat garbage and be fine...literally

one can do everything right, and something gets you anyway.

hmm...scary isn't it..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks morel for the info on the split peas. you know I am going to pick up a bag tomorrow and he will pop some as soon as he comes home....hmm...could it really be that easy..HA HA HA...I like it!!!! worth a try definitely. can never hurt that is for sure!

the first link I can not pull up for some reason.

the second link works fine and I started reading but realized it was long...LOL---so I will finish that reading later....very informative!!! just what I need.

thank you!~

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
drakemaiden

you shocked me back to reality......make small changes...YUP--that is what Tony needs.

If I hit him with tons of lower type cholest. recipes and then hit him with tons of fiber he is going to revolt..HA HA HA

so yes, subtle changes along with some new foods.....

like I read about meatloaf. I use my own breadcrumbs I make from leftover regular old bread (not a good baker yet but trying)-----well anyway, the site said make meatloaf with whole oatmeal in lieu of breadcrumbs.

well you know I am doing that..HA HA

thanks so much----I will be adding some new veggies and combos to his food. I will start to try to turn him over slowly....but I will win in the end. I always do..HA HA

thank you!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great idea on the meatloaf! I actually use ground flax, oat bran and wheat germ to replace the same volume of breadcrumbs in my meatloaf. :) I swear nobody can even tell.

It gets to be a fun game to find out where you can sneak in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. My kids can't tell that their pancakes and waffles always have a full cup of pumpkin in them unless they see me make them :) (and no white flour)

I think good eating gets a bad rap because people expect tasteless and unappealing. Not true! Who WOULD want to eat like that? If you need any help finding recipes to match your new goals, please let me know :) I do a CSA business with weekly recipe newsletters and have TONS of recipes I would be very glad to share with you, most of them tried and vouched for.

Good luck!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC - Sounds like Tony and you are in for some major changes.

My DH had a heart attack about 8 years ago and also has the high numbers.

Lots of good advice here. I eat oatmeal daily which I think helps keep my numbers down. Plus most of our meals are cooked on the gas grill. We eat very little red meat. Mostly chicken, turkey, fish.
My DH actually quit taking his cholestrol meds due to major pains and problems caused by them. He and his Dr went round and round but he finally just stopped. We keep his numbers within reason with diet. I use to have tons and tons of recipes. There are thousands of them on the internet.

I am off to buy the peas tomorrow. I can't believe I never heard of that but will definately give it a try.

Maybe we should start a Heart Healthy Recipe thread.

Edited to add: I use to take the fish oil until my Dr informed me that apparently I was not very fond of my liver. Since then I only take the fish oil supplements a couple of times a week. The rest is taken in food form. I did not question the man since I really like him and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have read where low-fat diets actually ADD to your cholesterol count by causing your body to store fats instead of using them. They said, if you are going to cut our saturated fats to replace them with some poly-unsaturated fats to fulfill your body's need for fats.

Olive oil, raw almonds, etc.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I totally agree with BK. Rather than fat from cheese, ice cream, butter and steak, trade it in for foods like avocadoes, nuts, olive and canola oils, flax seeds, etc. that have healthier fats in them. OTOH, I keep reading that pastured animals have healthier fats than the grain-fed variety... What an evolving thing nutritional "facts" are!