Cholesterol and all that mess!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sylvie - Good list - I already do a lot of those things but found several I can add to my list. But give up chicken and chocolate. Oh boy. That would be tough for me.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
2dream and reinbeau

Here's why:
peanuts, black tea, dairy, red meat are considered pro-inflammatory foods. Inflammation in the body presents itself in various conditions, including in the circulatory system. Organic grass fed beef ok.

Chocolate, black tea, coffee, cola contain methytl-xanthines which cause hormonal inbalance in many individuals. By avoiding these the liver is able to perform it's function in it's conjugation role and support the thyroid and adrenal glands.

If you have something every now and then as I sometimes do you will be fine.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea the key to all of it is not live on coffee and chocolate alone!

I have been hearing alot about the inflammation in the body and how bad it can effect you. Isn't it C-Q-10 that helps that one...or is it another. Heck, I don't remember??? time to re-check that.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I have been hearing alot about the inflammation in the body and how bad it can effect you. Isn't it C-Q-10 that helps that one...or is it another. Heck, I don't remember??? time to re-check that.
My ND doesn't go for supplements at all.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but it is natural in the body and you can boost it naturally.....I know that part, just can't remember anymore about it. read that info long ago.....time to research again definitely.

I do think supps have their place in a diet. I never discount anything.....wouldn't use tons of them, but for me I find what is good with all things and pick and choose carefully....just what I do.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I agree FC, I don't use alot of supps, but there are some that are just indespensable...like vitamin D for me personally...it has been a real good thing! I try to get most of what I need from diet...and I do my best to stay away from real junk food. I don't discount any of it...different things work well for different people, but my rule of thumb is this...if I don't feel a difference in how I feel within one bottle, I don't buy it again. That includes vitamins. With the right vitamins you will FEEL a difference.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
vitamin D has major health benefits. I so agree on that one. You do feel better taking it and research is showing we don't get near enough of it as we age.

and you are right. you must "feel improved" or why take it kinda.....but yes, trial and error for me. Never overdo or underdo in life I guess..LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We don't get much vit D here in Canada...it is a must have for most Canadians I think...and then when summer does come most people slather on the sunscreen and block the vitamin D again. I read an article just the other day on how cholesterol is NEEDED to make vitamin D and when you take a cholesterol drug it stops your body from producing vitamin D...don't remember all the why's and how but if I come across it again I will post the link.
Anyway I am glad that you are going to try lowing Tony's naturally...that way he will still have the good cholesterol that he needs....and he will feel alot better too:>)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cucumbers are good for lowering chol too. Don't be extremely worried about the higher numbers as they aren't as big a deal as modern western medicine would like you to believe they are.

Myth: High cholesterol leads to heart attacks & stroke.

Truth: built up plaque(which is not cholesterol) in the arteries can cause these problems. But there are other reasons to have these issues also.

Do not give up the real butter in any circumstance because butter actually lubricates the arteries so the plaque can not build up as quickly or badly.

My mom battles high chol & has for many, many yrs we celebrate whenever hers is down to around 300. Her dad had it up into the 800's a few times. He did not have a stroke until he was 80 1/2yrs old. He had the high chol all his adult life basically. I have 2 uncles that have had heart attacks 2 each & the oldest had a stroke & his chol is not too bad(mid to high 200's). So it just goes to prove you never know who it will affect & when. But my mom does better controlling hers with diet than anything else. She reacts to all the chol meds!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I remember reading that a segment of Italians have high cholesterol and are very long lived with high quality of life to the end. They didn't consume our processed food and they suspect genetics play a strong role in protecting them.