Cholesterol and all that mess!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you...if you are going to up the fibre in Tony's diet he HAS to start drinking his 6-8 glasses of water a day...otherwise he could end up wth a digestive system mess...VERY IMPORTANT...water has to be consumed with higher fibre diets. Not only that but water is our system cleanser...our bodies need water!

Anyone ever heard of the water cure? There's a webpage for it I'll go find the link right now.
Wow I just learned something new! Water in itslef will help bring cholesterol levels down...
http://watercure.com/wow_highblood.html

http://www.watercure2.org/

Funny, a few years ago these links had all the info on them...now you have to buy the books. Basicly what it was is water, potassium (bananas) and REAL SALT not the salt you buy at the grocery store, but a real sea salt that has all the minerals left in it. It is grey in colour and it is called REAL SALT You can get it at your health food store. Anyway...bottom line is that you would consume a couple of bananas, 1/4 tsp REAL SALT and 8 glasses of water a day. I did this for a while and it did make me feel alot better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey sparks
it is wild that you just got hit with this also. I hope your numbers weren't too high, Tony's were not good at all.

your Dr. recommended good stuff for you.

It is wild that you do what you think is OK already and then find out you are on the higher side...ugh...can we ever win????...LOL

You thought you were exempt? HA HA HA....I know, I should be exempt from alot of things in life also...LOL..wish we were huh?

this thread will help you too then! good deal!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thgals
I didn't know you did a CSA newsletter that included recipes for healthy eating! that is fab! one more gal to turn on the world to good eating.

Is this an email newsletter by any chance. I would love to sign up and read it and get it in email....don't know if you can do that though. OK if you can't, I would certainly understand.

Yup, you said it....I will now have to start truly getting away from processed garbage and making recipes delish and fun to "sneak" in the good stuff....LOL...sounds like you sure accomplished that already!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey 2dream
your Dr. is probably right....even the good stuff like fish oils and vitamins, if overdone, can tax the system. I guess the key being, balance right...LOL....I say this alot, but we can't win..HA HA HA

yea some of the red meat will be going off the menu. More fish and such and good thing is he likes it so that is an easy step. More veggie type meals I will have to start to figure out how to do this and him eat it..LOL

AND YES BK

I hear ya on the cut the bad fat but increase the good fats. Tony having diverticulitus and such, he steers clear of too many raw nuts and such. But I know I can get some good stuff in him somehow..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Morel
you sure know your stuff...LOL

about 2 years ago when I started losing weight we switched to tons of water. I do about 100 at least ounces per day....Tony I know does at least his 8 glasses per day. We stopped the soda and sweet tea and all that mess.

So yes, I can't agree more. TONS of water makes the body work, the organs do their jobs better and anyone not drinking alot of water has no idea how hard the body has to work to do its job.

I hear you loud and clear there! :)

Banana, water and sea salt. Yup I am sure you felt better eating that!

I use sea salt from the health food store for cooking and such and never cook with alot of salt ever anyway, but for table salt to be finer I use Mortons Lite Salt. Low sodium plus it is increased with potassium. And again, go light on the salt shaker..LOL...good thing Tony isn't a salt fan so it works out well for us in the salt issue!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream
a Heart Healthy thread
I think that is a great suggestion!

I just looked up Low Cholesterol Brownies. I was making ScottyGs brownies which are delish, but then I hit the internet and researched a bit and hit on low chol. brownies.

They sound good, but have to make them to know. Not much of a diff. in making them, just being smarter and changing up the receipe to make it the best it can be for the old body.

I think a thread like-----what is the bad dish of food, and how can we make it healthy and cut most of the bad stuff out of it

I can post my low chol. brownies and we can go from there! Smart! I know so many of you have the healthy versions of the old baddy foodies so we might as well learn how to fix the good meals and leave out the killer stuff in them!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ep

Well that smiley was Tony after dinner.

I hit him with tons of info on how we are going to battle this and his eyes did bug out at the end of the conversation....well my conversation, he just ate his fish and listened...HA HA HA

poor guy, he doesn't have a prayer with me. I could see him just thinking, good gravy here we go again on a lifestyle change..HA HA HA

well this one is really needed. not just lose weight like I am doing and such, this one is serious to get the body back in its healthy state definitely.........

I gotta slow down in throwing too much at him....I don't want him to revolt..HA HA HA

thanks everyone! :love you input is invaluable!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I switched to a Naturopathic doctor 2 years ago.
No more cholesterol meds, BP 113/72 now, weight usually great but you can over eat anything and put it on, heart burn gone, much more good stuff.
In a nutshell:

Diet- organic
decrease animal fats, use cold pressed veg* & fish oils.
eliminate white flour, sugar and all refined foods
eliminate coffee, tea, cola, chocolate ( green tea ok)
eliminate red meat and fowl ~organic fowl acceptable
decrease or eliminate milk and dairy~ yogurt acceptable
increase whole grains and vegetables
decrease raw cabbage family, cooked is fine
increase eggs, onions and beans
fresh raw seeds ( flax, sunflower, pumpkin), nuts in shell
avoid alcohol, canola oil, peanuts
avoid tomato-potato family if arthritic

* extra virgin cold pressed organic olive oil, coconut,
safflower, pumpkin, etc.

before eating add 1-2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar to 6-8oz water & drink 10-15 minutes prior to meal.

exercise to aid circulation-walk, yoga, etc

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
FarmerChick- do you all eat goat meat? It is really lower fat meat, lower in calories, higher in protein than chicken unless you count skinless breast meat only.
I made sloppy joes with it and it was great as were the rosemary/onion hamburgers. I like ground goat meat for everything. I would imagine it makes a great meat loaf- I might try that with the oats too.
When I raise my goats, the one that are butchered are never fed grain- only the preggo does get whole oats added to their ration in the last month along with oats when they are nursing.
The young goats get alfalfa pellets and grass hay only. They usually are put down at 6 mos or so. I won't feed anything that has a list of ingredients longer than one.* And my goats keep on this quite well.
I would suspect that you could use your own hay and raise wonderfully healthy goats pretty inexpensively if you don't already.
After a couple of years of eating my own raised goat meat, I really don't like pork, beef or lamb as I find them distressfully fatty.

PS I had this George Foreman grill that I tried a couple of times then put away as it was not to good with beef- but recently dragged it out and found it's wonderful for goat- fast and good.

Maaaaaaaaa on...................

* Well that was not quite true- the mineral mix is much longer than two ingredients.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I switched to a Naturopathic doctor 2 years ago.
No more cholesterol meds, BP 113/72 now, weight usually great but you can over eat anything and put it on, heart burn gone, much more good stuff.
In a nutshell:
Diet- organic
Yep
decrease animal fats, use cold pressed veg* & fish oils.
Doable.
eliminate white flour, sugar and all refined foods
I use mostly whole grain wheat flour, sugar is fine as long as it's in moderation, refined foods are gone in our diets.
eliminate coffee, tea, cola, chocolate ( green tea ok)
Tea of all kinds are fine, green tea is the best, but all of the others are good for you, too. Cola - nothing carbonated for me, I don't like it. Chocolate? No way, give me chocolate and no one gets hurt! Everything in moderation!
eliminate red meat and fowl ~organic fowl acceptable
I eat very little red meat, but when I need it, I need it. That need is never going to go away, thankfully it only occurs once a month or so. There's a reason for that craving.
decrease or eliminate milk and dairy~ yogurt acceptable
I love milk, it causes me no problems, I've been a milk drinker since I was a kid. Can't see that happening.
increase whole grains and vegetables
Already a staple.
decrease raw cabbage family, cooked is fine
Fermented is even better!
increase eggs, onions and beans
Having fresh cacklefruit outdoors for the gathering helps in this! :lol:
fresh raw seeds ( flax, sunflower, pumpkin), nuts in shell
Yup!
avoid alcohol, canola oil, peanuts
Peanuts? No, that's a good source of mono-oils. Moderation again.
avoid tomato-potato family if arthritic
Never heard that, love them both, but I'm definitely going to look into it.

extra virgin cold pressed organic olive oil, coconut,
safflower, pumpkin, etc.
Yup.

before eating add 1-2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar to 6-8oz water & drink 10-15 minutes prior to meal.
Something I've been meaning to do.

exercise to aid circulation-walk, yoga, etc
Pilates!