Christmas Spending

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby's family does the name drawing since there are so many of them. There are 8 siblings and mom and dad are still kicking. You make a box for the family you draw. I am hoping we get hubby's youngest sister and her family this year so I have an excuse to shop for toys...LOL

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It depends on where you live. It seems like retail has really picked up around here. I am still planning on buying gifts this year. Just quality over quantity.

Some familiy members seem to not use what they asked for in subsequent years or break it within a month or so. Grrr!!! As for them, they get nothing but contempt. Just kidding. Probably will buy for them. I am a big softy and eager to please.

I am spreading out my shopping and perusing more stores and online. Most of the good prices are very early in the season (end of October through first week of November) and the last week before Christmas.

Personally, I don't care if I get gifts. The season itself is the most important and spending time with those you love.

There was a person I worked with at school that did would only exchange items that were homemade, recycled or non-items (like donating to a charity). She did this as a way of getting out of the consumerization of the holidays. It just leads to want and waste.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
DianeB said:
There was a person I worked with at school that did would only exchange items that were homemade, recycled or non-items (like donating to a charity). She did this as a way of getting out of the consumerization of the holidays. It just leads to want and waste.
I love that idea! My sister and I have that type of understanding for our kids' b-day gifts. It's not that we really save $, since we have this set amount in mind, we just get so much more for our $! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We will be getting DS a large Playmobil set that he will love, the new Egyptian pyramid. It's extravagant but it is something that he is really interested in and has been for a long time. The set is also very highly rated by parents' groups, etc. He will also get a real bow and arrow set for his size and a small set of golf clubs, also his size. Those we will offer as ideas to family who ask. Others get homemade gifts; jellies, etc. I may or may not get some crafting done to add to that. Niece and nephew are hard to shop for but nephew is off to college next year and will get a simple cookbook and set of kitchen tools. Niece will get a vegan cookbook and some utensils that have never touched meat so she can use them separately from her mother's stuff.
DH and I usually think of something we want for the house that isn't too expensive and give that to each other.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We used to draw names and have a gift exchange...$30 maximum. Last year we did something different. We pooled all the money for the gifts together instead and sent money to an organization to send animals to poor countries. The animals are prebred and the babe goes to one of the neighbors. It was neat. We sent a goat, some chickens and I forget what else.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
We used to draw names and have a gift exchange...$30 maximum. Last year we did something different. We pooled all the money for the gifts together instead and sent money to an organization to send animals to poor countries. The animals are prebred and the babe goes to one of the neighbors. It was neat. We sent a goat, some chickens and I forget what else.
I love this! I have friends who do this every year. Thanks for the reminder. I need to work toward something like this.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have always had very thrifty Christmases around here. I was always more interested in teaching my children the true religious meaning of Christmas. We told them from the start that Santa was a fun game that people play with their kids. They had a price limit from the very start. They would figure out what they wanted the most, within the price limit and USUALLY they got it. The stockings were surprises tiny stuff but the kids totally loved them.

Now that they are all grown and things are still thrifty. With no little kids around anymore most of the presents have become VERY practical. The gifts are still low cost.

No body better tell!

This years Christmas list reads as follows:

DAD - new sheets

Sissy - digital photo keychain

Sig other in law - homegrown turkey dressed and ready (this guy is a turkey junkie :p )

D1 and hubby - $100 worth of delivered gravel for their horrible driveway.

D2 (wild child) - $30 or 50 grocery gift card for health food store.

D3 - looking for great geeky idea

BIL - chicken breasts

Hubby and I usually don't exchange gifts but sometimes I find a little something he (we) need. I think a different recliner might be in order this year.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have scaled down the past few years, this year will be no different. Dh & I don't exchange, at times I will "treat" ;) myself, this year its going to be a bread maker.

We have a total of 3 kids and usually spend about $150 on each child.

$100 on my parents (not sure what this year), $50 on MIL and $50 on SIL.

My brother and I usually don't exchange gifts. Although, after all of these great posts, I think I'm going to donate something as his "gift."

For my friends I usually do homemade things, this year its going to be "mixes in jars." I plan on picking up jars at Flower Factory (love that place!).

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Great thread!!

I always hit up the Black Friday sales. I know it's craziness, but I LOVE it!!!! This is the type of hunt that I live for :p I don't particularly care much for the people that get rude and pushy and crazy, but I go into any store with an attitude of love, and have come out okay every time so far ;)

I'm going to get the kids a few things this year, that they want, and then hit up the Black Friday sales for things that we think would be good for the kids to have ie educational, things that get them outside etc.

We have already saved up some money for Christmas, but we are spending much less than we have in years past due to just simply not having the money.

Since we are doing the responsible thing and paying off our debt aggressively and living on a zero budget, we have a lot less money for Christmas this year. The bigger picture is more important kind of thing.

Consequently I have endeavored to try and make more things for the kid's gifts. That is proving easier said than done, and if I'm lucky, I will give the afghan to my DD for Christmas, siiiiiiince I wasn't able to get it done in time for her birthday!! :p

What I hope to make:
**Lots of baked goodies in pretty packaging(all homemade)

-haystacks
-chocolate covered cherries
-chocolate covered pretzels
-no bake cookies
-7 layer cookie bars
-easy fudge
-lemon bars
-ornament shaped rice crispie treats

I know there are more, but I can't remember all of them lol

** Afghan for DD

** Custom made shirts for DD and DS using drawings that they have drawn.

** Shadow boxes for all of the kids artwork to display in the living room for all to admire

** Stocking for DD because for some reason her Christmas stocking is 5 times smaller than the rest of her sibs

** amirigumi(not sure how to spell that) chickens in eggs for the kids stocking stuffers....thaaaaaaaaaaat were intended to be Easter basket stuffers......... :hide

For my husband: a Pizza Stone and a Steelers shirt

The rest of the fam will probably do the drawing numbers gift exchange except for my nephews.

I don't have clue what to get my teenage nephews. Last year my parents got my kids a whole bunch of stuff, and got my sisters boys last minute gift cards :somad because they all of a sudden realized they had better get them something.

Anybody know what to get two teenage boys?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
Great thread!!

I always hit up the Black Friday sales. I know it's craziness, but I LOVE it!!!! This is the type of hunt that I live for :p I don't particularly care much for the people that get rude and pushy and crazy, but I go into any store with an attitude of love, and have come out okay every time so far ;)
I love the day after Thanksgiving sales, too. Last year, I rode my bike to the mall (only had to get a few small items.) Had a parking spot right up front. Also, got in and out of the parking lot faster than anyone :lol: Its fun watching people stare at you as you pedal past a long line of cars.