Christmas Spending

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
All my grandchildren get a book as part of their Christmas from me. Since I have a $50 limit for each child I have to be careful.

Check out your local book store. Borders around here always has great childrens Bargain Books. I got all mine today from 2.99 to 6.99. Plus I found my oldest Grandson a very nice Journal at 50% off to go in his Journal Box I am making this year. (Thanks Farmer Chick for the idea) he is gonna love it.

There is also lots of great sale clothes for kids online at most of your major department store chains. The bargains are really good and they are things you won't find in the stores. Walmart, Target, Gap, etc. Plus, for those that have to mail gifts. They will wrap, put in a gift card and ship to whatever address you chose.

Can you guess how I Christmas shop. The bookstore and online. :D

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I love the day after Thanksgiving sales, too. Last year, I rode my bike to the mall (only had to get a few small items.) Had a parking spot right up front. Also, got in and out of the parking lot faster than anyone lol Its fun watching people stare at you as you pedal past a long line of cars.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahaha I can just picture this!! I bet the background music for the wicked witch of the West was playing in their heads as you were peddling by!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's awesome though seriously! What a great idea!

2dream I forgot about books!! I got my kids some books from the Schoolastic book orders that go home with the kids every couple of weeks. You can get some great kids books for really cheap. Some are only 1 or $2 a piece. I think I got my kids the I spy books for 2 bucks a piece. :weee :weee :weee

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Christmas shopping was the topic on my blog yesterday. I have cut the list way back, and for a decidedly un-Christian reason: I eliminated the people who (a) Don't say thank you, and/or (b) Haven't remembered me at Christmas for two or more years--yet accepted my gifts without guilt. I know that's a tough thing to say, but when I realized that half of the 35 people I buy for fall into one or BOTH of the above categories, I decided to prune a bit.

The other 18, well, some are families and they are getting large baskets of canned foods and home made mixes (soup, biscuit, muffin, dessert). Enough for several meals.

The grandkids will be the only gifts I buy, and I will put their gifts on layaway at KMart in the next few weeks.

I don't know what to do for my parents yet, as they don't have a lot of interests any more, and are giving things away as they reach their late 80's. They don't want to add more stuff. Dad may not live until next Christmas, so I want to be very thoughtful about his gift.

Otherwise, I am going to make one grand gift for my daughter and her husband, and their kids already mentioend the grandkids, but this is special). I am making a board game for them. It will be kind of a general knowledge game of the family's history put into a scavenger hunt form. We used to have actual scavenger hunts every Easter until my sister ruined it by having one of her patented psychotic hissyfits. Anyway, I am making the cards on the computer and am resurfacing an existing folded board and box with an entirely new design. I have done this before (for my ex, a GI Joe collector trivia game) and it was kinda cool.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was working at Chapters and sales were up a staggering $2000 almost every day, up $43,000 for the quarter and Chapters is a huge Chrimbo gifts store around here.

Anyway, depends on how generous my dad is feeling and how good business is/whether he got paid. I'm hoping for a saddle for Chrimbo (or maybe my birthday? I think Mylie is Chrimbo lol) and maybe a pair of Ariat Probaby's.

I'm building my mum a new cedar dutch door for the barn.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
I love the day after Thanksgiving sales, too. Last year, I rode my bike to the mall (only had to get a few small items.) Had a parking spot right up front. Also, got in and out of the parking lot faster than anyone lol Its fun watching people stare at you as you pedal past a long line of cars.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahaha I can just picture this!! I bet the background music for the wicked witch of the West was playing in their heads as you were peddling by!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's awesome though seriously! What a great idea!

2dream I forgot about books!! I got my kids some books from the Schoolastic book orders that go home with the kids every couple of weeks. You can get some great kids books for really cheap. Some are only 1 or $2 a piece. I think I got my kids the I spy books for 2 bucks a piece. :weee :weee :weee
Nahaha!!! I will get you and your little dog, too :lol:

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I was working at Chapters and sales were up a staggering $2000 almost every day, up $43,000 for the quarter and Chapters is a huge Chrimbo gifts store around here.

Anyway, depends on how generous my dad is feeling and how good business is/whether he got paid. I'm hoping for a saddle for Chrimbo (or maybe my birthday? I think Mylie is Chrimbo lol) and maybe a pair of Ariat Probaby's.

I'm building my mum a new cedar dutch door for the barn.

Last edited by lupinfarm (Today 10:31 pm)
oh honey, I have no idea what you're saying. Could you decipher these unfamiliar words for me? :lol:

Now I know what the Ariats are ;) :thumbsup

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lulz... Chapters is a large format Book store chain in Canada, also referred to as Coles or Indigo (Coles is small in mall stores). They also sell gift product, cards, and some house warming type things.

And Chrimbo is short for Christmas.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
OH WOW! :th

That was awesome!!

I felt like Marlin in finding Nemo when he was talking to Squirt. I knew you were telling me something, but I had no idea what it was! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am among those who don't really get into Christmas gift giving unless it's something homemade. I do normally get each child something but now that they are grown and have all the normal stuff, this gets harder and harder.

I don't like to add more clutter and gadgetry to my home and they have tons of clothing....this I know because my washing machine never gets to rest. :rolleyes:

Our office exchanges names, but I really feel awkward about it because it seems pointless to buy something for people who have everything that I don't have nor want. I never know just what to waste my money on in this situation. If you make them something they don't appreciate it either, so I really hate this time of year at the office. :/

I like to concentrate more on the gift of Christ to the world, good foods and smells in the house, pretty homespun decorations consisting of warm colors and soft textures and just being together and having a good time. Games and good conversation are a must.

I've always liked starting my own traditions for holidays and such, so we like to think of Christmas as a time of warmth, love and thankfulness instead of a time to scurry around and spend money....it all seems so weird to us when we watch others do this. :hide

Total Christmas expenditures will probably be in the $100 range, including snack foods, some new lights and ribbons for wreaths and swags, a few gifts for my boys and gas for traveling to visit relatives.

Probably another $100 for a needy family....there always seems to be an opportunity to give to others at this time of year.