Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Cecilia's-life ... septic systems are standard for country properties. We have no sewer lines, no public water, nothing like that here in the country. If not for septics and wells, 2/3's of the houses here would not exist....We do have building codes and restrictions... and all new subdivided properties have to be a minimum of 2 acres in the county where I am.... it is different in different counties. I don't want town water with all that chlorine in it and I sure don't want to pay for a sewer line..... pump out the septic tank periodically.... and my own good well water....
Yep same here too, country living equals septic and well.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They still do septic systems? Huh. I thought that was a thing of the past.
We have a fancy aeration septic system. They say you can drink the water that comes out of it. Would I? NOPE! Just because someone says you can, doesn't mean you should. Common sense tells me otherwise.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😏❣️
IMG_20220121_172302485~2.jpg

IMG_20220121_172319681.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here we have septic and wells. Only city people get to have city water and septic, and only if they want it.

There are people within city limits that still have an outhouse and haul all water.

A decent percentage of folks around here have zero or limited utilities, mostly by choice. As in, no running water, or no electric, or neither.

The grocery store in town is a "box store", the town only let them in if they 1. Would keep their footprint small, and 2. Had an outside spigot for people to get drinking water for free.

One of the local laundry mats also has showers.

When we first moved here we just got a punch card for the swimming pool. 5 bucks per visit... swim and then you can shower as long as you like!

And I second the stupidity of inspected leach fields. When we bought the house we currently live in... the sellers were going on about the fantastic inspected leach field. The first leach field was a crib septic, and they were so excited about the upgrade.

Dumbest leach field ever. They put it uphill from the house, where a natural SPRING is located.

After the leachfield was backwashed by that spring INTO THE HOUSE for the third time... I put in a leach field that was NOT inspected and done like I wanted... downhill from the house, and not on top of a spring. :rolleyes: sheesh

Anyway... stuff here isn't inspected, unless you want a bank mortgage. Then they inspect, and how close it needs to be to code is determined by what percentage the loan is of the worth of the house.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here we have septic and wells. Only city people get to have city water and septic, and only if they want it.

There are people within city limits that still have an outhouse and haul all water.

A decent percentage of folks around here have zero or limited utilities, mostly by choice. As in, no running water, or no electric, or neither.

The grocery store in town is a "box store", the town only let them in if they 1. Would keep their footprint small, and 2. Had an outside spigot for people to get drinking water for free.

One of the local laundry mats also has showers.

When we first moved here we just got a punch card for the swimming pool. 5 bucks per visit... swim and then you can shower as long as you like!

And I second the stupidity of inspected leach fields. When we bought the house we currently live in... the sellers were going on about the fantastic inspected leach field. The first leach field was a crib septic, and they were so excited about the upgrade.

Dumbest leach field ever. They put it uphill from the house, where a natural SPRING is located.

After the leachfield was backwashed by that spring INTO THE HOUSE for the third time... I put in a leach field that was NOT inspected and done like I wanted... downhill from the house, and not on top of a spring. :rolleyes: sheesh

Anyway... stuff here isn't inspected, unless you want a bank mortgage. Then they inspect, and how close it needs to be to code is determined by what percentage the loan is of the worth of the house.
Ours has no leach field since it's aeration. We also have a regular septic with a leach field but it's been abandoned by the previous owner and aeration septic installed. It makes no sense now to cut over because the aeration system is still under warranty. I know that electric motor will only run so long though.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours has no leach field since it's aeration. We also have a regular septic with a leach field but it's been abandoned by the previous owner and aeration septic installed. It makes no sense now to cut over because the aeration system is still under warranty. I know that electric motor will only run so long though.

What happens when the power goes out??

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What happens when the power goes out??
No air is pumped into chamber #1 and #2. It has 3 chambers the third chamber is clear water. If the power is out for an extended period, It works like a regular 2 chamber septic but doesn't have a leach field. So I suspect it will start stinking eventually. All the air pump does is feed the beneficial bacteria oxygen to speed decomposition.

This is more or less the design of ours
download (9).jpeg

Last edited: