Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No air is pumped into chamber #1 and #2. It has 3 chambers the third chamber is clear water. If the power is out for an extended period, It works like a regular 2 chamber septic but doesn't have a leach field. So I suspect it will start stinking eventually. All the air pump does is feed the beneficial bacteria oxygen to speed decomposition.

This is more or less the design of ours
View attachment 18115

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I have to be honest, I think I would rather stick with city sewage 🤣🤣 That looks complicated. 😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I think I would rather stick with city sewage 🤣🤣 That looks complicated. 😂
It was installed by local company and still under warranty. Honestly I prefer the old style septic system, but I can't justify cutting over to the old system while this one is still under warranty. They even come out and inspect it and change the air filter.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah.... our first house up here had a crib septic. Worked great for long bunch of years... as far as I know it is still working.

Some people even rig up a way to pump out a crib septic to help it last longer.

For those not familiar....

A crib septic, you just dig a huge hole, line it with logs to keep the walls from caving in, fill the middle with rocks. Have your pipe empty in the middle of the rocks. Put on a log lid, toss dirt and sod on top.

Some people would just take the shell of a car, and use that instead of the wood and rocks. A VW van is a good size.

Last edited:

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My geese chased all of my chickens into the heated coop right before it started to hail yesterday. It stopped for a couple hours, and then last night when it was really bad the geese were in the middle of the yard getting pelted. They have shelter but refuse to take it. My muscovy ducks were smart enough to be in the coop for a while, but the others not so much. I don’t know why waterfowl are so stubborn.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My geese chased all of my chickens into the heated coop right before it started to hail yesterday. It stopped for a couple hours, and then last night when it was really bad the geese were in the middle of the yard getting pelted. They have shelter but refuse to take it. My muscovy ducks were smart enough to be in the coop for a while, but the others not so much. I don’t know why waterfowl are so stubborn.

perhaps it feels like a massage to them?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Morning! I'm awake! I hope to go shopping today. It sounds like a nice break from being at home.
Morning! Have fun shopping. I was out the door early this morning. Neighbor was in the hospital recently and just got out. I went to the local donut shop and got donuts for their kids and kolaches for the grown-ups. They were most appreciative! Good neighbors!