Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really think all of the constant being "plugged in" causes way more stress, a disconnection to reality, and no practice with dealing with real life anything...

In boy scouts over the years.. parents no longer want to show up and do stuff with their kids... the parents want to drop off the kids and dash off... It is getting so bad that I think in another 10 years there will no longer be a scout program.

So many factors... so many changes....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I really think all of the constant being "plugged in" causes way more stress, a disconnection to reality, and no practice with dealing with real life anything...

In boy scouts over the years.. parents no longer want to show up and do stuff with their kids... the parents want to drop off the kids and dash off... It is getting so bad that I think in another 10 years there will no longer be a scout program.

So many factors... so many changes....
Exactly what I am seeing first hand!!!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Exactly what I am seeing first hand!!!!
I saw that with Scouts too. Thankfully I was helping out with the youngest kids and parents were required to stay.

I'm not seeing it in 4-H. Even with Zoom meetings parents tend to stay nearby. Dog Project requires parents to stay until their kids drove themselves so we don't deal with it at all.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when your kids are managed play dates all the time i can imagine that any free time a parent actually gets is really appreciated. while i understand what you're saying and i agree i think it is also something else going on.

for us as kids, we free-ranged as much as we could, all day, parents said go out and play and we did. there wasn't this constant hovering going on and we developed skills and the abilities to be alone or to manage ourselves as best we could as we could. without having a parent always right there in our faces. we also spent more time outside in general. nowadays i think a lot of people don't even go outside much any more.

yet another reason i try to get people into gardening as much as i can.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning! The sun is up and bright. There is only a few patches of wintery sleet and snow left on the ground. I hope for us, that is the winter storm and that there won't be another one. I have too much to do.
Yesterday was a nice day. We took two trucks and the cargo trailer to Groveton. We unloaded, there are stacks of boxes for me to go through. Some I labeled Do Not Unpack, others will be gone through and sorted into unpack and put back in a box. LOL

I really like this couple buying the farm, they are wonderful people and I'm sure once they get moved and settled, they will be planting a garden. I'm leaving a few envelopes of seed for them to get started. She wants to learn canning, so I'll be back, happily giving her lessons. I am delighted to turn the farm over to them, they have lots of plans for it.

It is looking like we will be closing this week. There isn't much left in the house, but A lot of little stuff. I have to build pens for the sheep and dogs before I can move them. I gave them two ewes, but I'll be taking them with me since they won't move in immediately and there will be no guard dog. They have an adorable guard puppy, and some yard dogs, once they move in and are here, that will be sufficient to protect their sheep.
Still a lot to do before I'm cleared out of here, the big push will be to finish getting out of the house, can't be totally gone until I move sheep and dogs. A BYH member and her husband are coming from California to take care of some Texas rental properties they have and a ranch they bought a little further north of here. Then they are going to help me build shelter and fence for the animals. Another BYH couple that lives maybe 40 miles away wants to come and help too. We'll make it a party!

Then I may give her husband the TV remote and abdicate my recliner throne so I can strap her to the kitchen to help me unpack boxes. LOL LOL We are going to finish running the trim around the bottom of the walls and a couple of doors. Plenty to do!

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
for us as kids, we free-ranged as much as we could, all day, parents said go out and play and we did. there wasn't this constant hovering going on and we developed skills and the abilities to be alone or to manage ourselves as best we could as we could. without having a parent always right there in our faces. we also spent more time outside in general. nowadays i think a lot of people don't even go outside much any more.
My parent's hovered constantly. And look at me now! I can barely do a menial task without overthinking it or thinking I'm not doing it "right". As if there is a right way to wash dishes. LOL! Helicopter parents ruin kids.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My parent's hovered constantly. And look at me now! I can barely do a menial task without overthinking it or thinking I'm not doing it "right". As if there is a right way to wash dishes. LOL! Helicopter parents ruin kids.

haha, well of course there are the right ways of washing dishes, but i'm willing to overlook a lot of things as long as the dishes are: unbroken, clean, don't taste of soap, dry and put away. i do most of the dishes around here anyways.

have they moderated their hovering in recent years? sometimes i do have to remind Mom that i am a competent adult even if i don't always appear to be to her standards. :) she did teach me how to do everything i need to do - i may not clean and dust my room as much as she'd like and there's a lot more clutter in here but that's fine with me, it's my room. i do have to remind her of that too once in a while. M I N E ! :)