Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
School shooting yesterday bear where I grew up. 1 teen died and 1 is in critical condition. School was a school for children with disabilities or needing an alternative environment ;( Suspects in custody are bot students, the story is right now they drove up to the school, shot and drove away.

There are days I feel that the world has gone crazy.
Yeah, a shooting in a college in Bridgewater, VA yesterday! Suspect in custody. Young man killed two security guards!

Another shooting of three not far from me, at night, I suspect gang or drug related.

This shoot and run stuff is really out of hand!!! So senseless. 😢
DW is worried out of her mind for her kids. I pray that there would never be a shooting at a Catholic school. I just hope we teach them well how to protect themselves.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DW is worried out of her mind for her kids. I pray that there would never be a shooting at a Catholic school. I just hope we teach them well how to protect themselves.
And this is why I’m pro former military as school guards. They have far better training than security guards, know enemy tactics better, and tend to be better equipped against enemies. Security guards are more trained to subdue, military is trained to eliminate the threat. And that is enough of my personal thoughts, I’m so sorry you have that to worry about!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And this is why I’m pro former military as school guards. They have far better training than security guards, know enemy tactics better, and tend to be better equipped against enemies. Security guards are more trained to subdue, military is trained to eliminate the threat. And that is enough of my personal thoughts, I’m so sorry you have that to worry about!

violence and guns are uplifted as the ways to solve problems instead of finding other ways (which may take more work and understanding and, ahem, compromises). if you don't teach your children better ways of being how do you expect a society to improve or even function?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
violence and guns are uplifted as the ways to solve problems instead of finding other ways (which may take more work and understanding and, ahem, compromises). if you don't teach your children better ways of being how do you expect a society to improve or even function?
I don't disagree necessarily (I'm rather in the middle on the whole issue) but I think there's something deeper going on - and it's possible to change.

It's teens bonding to each other instead of their parental/mentor figures. This is terrible for mental health because the critical component of that parental attachment is stability and unconditional acceptance. The generation is becoming unhinged, but it's not too late, they're not all adults yet.

One of the best things parents can do is to cut back on teens phone/social media access. The usual, know who they're talking to and about what, take devices away at bedtime, use a limited device like GAB phone, etc. Be involved, do stuff with them. They'll resist for a while (because it feels like they're losing their attachment figure), but soon they'll have gained a real, secure parental attachment that sustains their mental health.

I got lucky and found this book before my kid hit the teen years.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with both @Messybun and @flowerbug . Parents need to be more involved with their kids and limit screen time. By the time a kid decides to go shoot up the school, they have infringed upon the rights of others. A little late for social services at that very moment, they DONT have rights at that point, killing other kids is going too far. Eliminate the problem before he eliminates others.

There is a breakdown in families, out of touch. How many of these kids are on behavioral drugs? Yes, it improves life for some of these kids, for some, it combines with other problems and only makes it worse.

When I went to school with the dinosaurs, there were NO security guards, they were not needed. This was in the city of Houston. What has changed?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I probably stirred up a hornet’s nest.

@tortoise i admire your dedication to your children. You are a Rock Star.

On my second cup of coffee. Then get dressed and pack more boxes until the new farm soon to be owners get here and we start loading the trailer.

Knees aren’t hurting yet, but will probably be screaming at me shortly. I’ll take a couple of Advil. Eh. Suck it up buttercup. Limping on both knees, lurching around like a drunk seems to be my natural gait these days.

A shout out to @Grandmas Porch !!!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule I feel that it is a safe place to speak your peace. No one is going to agree with everything everyone else says, one of great things of being individuals but I feel here you wont be attacked if someone doesn't agree.

After working in the mental health field, so I have mixed thoughts. Some can be from substances or environment but a lot of times it is just the person's body/chemistry being off. But I also believe the world we live in now is not the same as it was. Bottom line some people are just selfish and dont realize or care how impactful their actions are.

Today is a work day. And then a run into town for a grocery pick up, it has been a couple weeks. Tomorrow it will be in the 30s so we are splitting wood.