Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
first day back to desk job in over a week and I am not liking it and I just logged on, lol. Oldest is at camp all week and youngest starts a summer reading and math program with the school district so she will be gone half days and DH is at work. Quiet, feels too quiet....lol crazy how you get used to the hustle and bustle of things. I think I have a broody hen, which she is a Leghorn so that is odd but she has all the signs and stayed in the nesting box overnight. I will give her a couple more days and then if she is still sitting I will get her some eggs from somewhere. Going to can some relish today and pick more cherries. Hope you all have a great day!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chores complete. Came in to strain milk, get in freezer to chill & get 2nd cuppa!

Added another doe to milk line up this morn. She's tame but skiddish, so this was first day to milk. She got her collar, into stanchion, milked with just a few stomps. 🤫👍. She's had her kid off for a couple days and needed to work or be dried up. I love her attachment and as FF she produced well, was a good mom. The bad, OMG such short teats! 🤣 A 2 finger gal. Used a hand pump and she'll need to be a machine milker. 🤷. But worth a second breeding!! 3/4 Saanen, 1/4 Nubian. Promising.

Do I need the milk? NO!! NO!! But buyers of trained milking does are farm income! So I have to deal with it. More than eggs and garden here. 😊. Need to call about a buck I want to buy and hope is still available. Only 150 miles out, so a day trip. 😁 One that will give time to do milking before and after.

Ahhh....need to check the garden and make that batch of blueberry preserves! Believe I'll see if there's a roll of the "bite the bullet" goat fence at TSC...add to what I have and get that fence up asap!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always nice when the trainees "get it." My craziest most skittish doe on the place got on the milk stand this spring and stood like a veteran. Good thing she likes feed more than she dislikes me, lol. Yes - trained milkers bring a premium price. I sold two this spring and I'll be looking at that again next spring.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sold a large heavy-producing Kinder doe this spring for $550 - but I threw in a scrawny buck kid, lol. I sold another one that was smaller with a not so nice udder for $375 - but they bought 3 other goats from me too - group discount always applies. Neither of those does were pure bred milking does. The kinder doe was nice but about 6 or 7 years old. The other one was half Kiko with a pendulous udder - but very sweet on the stand.

One of the buyers was a repeat buyer and the other bought a herd, lol. I'm pretty flexible under those conditions.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep...prices depend on breed, age, condition, volume, bred, registered or not. My area $350-750 is expected for a good, in milk, not bred, unreg doe. Exceptional registered, shown, tested, etc. Up to $1250 ish. I try to stay $500-600. Of course this means you raised her for 18 months, or years, and she's probably had twins for you to keep/sell most years. 😊. And she's given you milk each year. 👍 plus fertilizer, weed control and untold excitement! :lol:

Like your sheep. You deal where you can, need. Some you are ok to sell, others are there forever, no matter what. 😔