Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a broody hen, a Leghorn. I thought it was impossible! I just shake my head. I doubt she will make it the full 21 days but I put 5 fertilized eggs under her. She has sat for 2 nights on the nest and never moved at all yesterday. She is already small but mighty. I gave her some water on the nest, tried some scratch and boiled egg but she wouldn't eat either but she drank. Time will tell. I should probably borrow a cheap incubator from someone. I just can't believe she is sitting. She is flat as a pancake, growls and has the turkey tail. I can get a couple pics in a few minutes when I feed.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a broody hen, a Leghorn. I thought it was impossible! I just shake my head. I doubt she will make it the full 21 days but I put 5 fertilized eggs under her. She has sat for 2 nights on the nest and never moved at all yesterday. She is already small but mighty. I gave her some water on the nest, tried some scratch and boiled egg but she wouldn't eat either but she drank. Time will tell. I should probably borrow a cheap incubator from someone. I just can't believe she is sitting. She is flat as a pancake, growls and has the turkey tail. I can get a couple pics in a few minutes when I feed.
My best and fiercest broodies and mama's have been Leghorns.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My best and fiercest broodies and mama's have been Leghorns.
really? seriously? (I am not really looking for an answer). that is so good to hear, i have heard and read that leghorns NEVER go broody, lol. she is crazy broody and I am loving it. She is my favorite hen and one I nursed back from near death at 16 wks from cocci and has a special place in my heart. She is sitting on 7 eggs :) day 3 and she is still there.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
really? seriously? (I am not really looking for an answer). that is so good to hear, i have heard and read that leghorns NEVER go broody, lol. she is crazy broody and I am loving it. She is my favorite hen and one I nursed back from near death at 16 wks from cocci and has a special place in my heart. She is sitting on 7 eggs :) day 3 and she is still there.
I never had a production white leghorn go broody.

But my rose comb white leghorns, and my rose comb dark browns, as well as crosses of those two would on occasion go broody.

It was pretty great. Fantastic production, and almost all of them would stay in production... and then one or 2 would sneak off and go broody.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't know where to post this and don't want to start a new thread for 1 question.

For a mama hen and 6-8 chicks, is a 30×19 inch cage big enough for them for their first week or so to keep them confined and safe? My plan is to keep them there with food/water for about a week and then open it up and let Mama take them out to the run when she is ready. I just don't need them stepped on by the big Brahmas

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
*Looks at silkie that went broody 6 times within a year* Chickens that don't go broody at my place could be a rarity, except I do have some large fowl.

I've heard of plenty of leghorn exceptions. As a breed they are low on broodiness. Most of my hatchery easter eggers haven't gone broody. The wheaten ameraucana would average once a year. The EEs bred here have silkie in them so they can get annoying going broody.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't know where to post this and don't want to start a new thread for 1 question.

For a mama hen and 6-8 chicks, is a 30×19 inch cage big enough for them for their first week or so to keep them confined and safe? My plan is to keep them there with food/water for about a week and then open it up and let Mama take them out to the run when she is ready. I just don't need them stepped on by the big Brahmas

That's about the size of the tub I use for the 2 lb silkie hens when giving them incubator chicks in the house. Not sure how well a full size hen would do

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's about the size of the tub I use for the 2 lb silkie hens when giving them incubator chicks in the house. Not sure how well a full size hen would do
When she was at the vet this spring she was only 3 lbs ;) maybe she would be ok. She is very small

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

My turkey hens take sitting seriously, I'm amazed they live. I get to feeling sorry for them and carefully put some feed and a bowl of water in their little brood house. By carefully I mean I put a piece of wood in front of my hand while putting bowls in, their peck draws blood. They eat and drink while sitting on the eggs.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

For one week it is a fine size.

I often stick mom and chicks in a small space for a bit... just depending on things.....

I have used two different pens that are about 3x3 and 3x4 for a broody plus chicks for about a month. I find that small is better for the stupid moms, since they are less likely to lose the chicks.

No joke. So for stupid moms the 3x4 is actually a bit too large.... 🙄