Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today my granddaughters rescued "Mothy" who was wounded. My granddaughter came and got me so they could show me. That they made Mothy a safe place to get better with sugar magnolia leaves, crepe myrtle flowers and white clover. It's so Mothy has a comfortable place to lay down. And when Mothy gets hungry, Mothy will have plenty to eat. My granddaughter explained to me. Get well soon Mothy.

Children are just too awesome for words.
IMG_20220718_182724057.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Granddaughter's asked me to look after Mothy, I agreed. Mothy is not moving, so Mothy was really easy to look after. I'll see what they want to do with Mothy, later this afternoon. I have a shovel ready, if they ask.
IMG_20220719_092254984.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Not sure into which thread to place this. 🤔
It appears next week the canner/water bath pot will be humming. The wife is going to call a produce place near her family and "place a small order" to bring home. She has already talked about canning okra, lima beans (and also succotash with local corn used), red beets, and banana pepper rings. This is on top of the squash and onions already planned

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!! Succotash - yum!

I fried okra last night. First time in years! I won't wait that long again. I've been dehydrating a lot of okra and it makes a great snack. But - I decided to do a little research and from what I've read you can rehydrate the okra and fry it. YUMMY! I haven't canned any yet even though I've been threatening to pickle some. Too much to do - not enough of me to go around....

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with egg candling? I ordered a better light, which will be here Sat, but I was able to see veins in all the eggs (some thicker than others) but no movement-day 10. Green and brown shells so maybe I just need a darker area and brighter candle? All had a nice air sac going, and I didn't see any blood rings. Am I to assume they are good so far? (first time candling)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with egg candling? I ordered a better light, which will be here Sat, but I was able to see veins in all the eggs (some thicker than others) but no movement-day 10. Green and brown shells so maybe I just need a darker area and brighter candle? All had a nice air sac going, and I didn't see any blood rings. Am I to assume they are good so far? (first time candling)

I use a really bright 2000 lumen flashlight but some eggs are still hard to see. Thicker shell and olive color. Ive heard proper colored marans eggs are impossible to candle. Dark as possible room does help.

If the veins look healthy it should be fine. There isn't always a lot of movement. Check again in a couple days to see if veins still look good. If egg dies you can tell by how the veins start disappearing

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a really bright 2000 lumen flashlight but some eggs are still hard to see. Thicker shell and olive color. Ive heard proper colored marans eggs are impossible to candle. Dark as possible room does help.

If the veins look healthy it should be fine. There isn't always a lot of movement. Check again in a couple days to see if veins still look good. If egg dies you can tell by how the veins start disappearing
Thank you, I will check again on day 13 and see, I just don't want one to break and start a stinkin'.

Can't believe it but my Leghorn is still sitting and is as feisty as ever. Goes to show you, if you just let a chicken be a chicken and not a mass producer, nature will take over!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Egg candling.... I always candled twice. Once at 7-10 days to kick out total "duds, not fertile.... then at 15-18 days as a recheck, pre-lockdown for hatching.
Dark and green tinted eggs are harder to tell. I have never had a "too bright" bulb to candle with. The room has to be DARK.... and the slot or hole the eggs are held against has to basically be covered by the egg to direct the light through the egg.
If the veins look like "veins" with no blurred edges then they are viable. Most embryonic deaths of eggs are in the 10-15 day range. That is mostly when you will see the blood ring very clearly. Before 10 days, mostly the egg just doesn't start to develop or just starts and has a very small hazy blood ring. There is small movement of the veins and the darker the shell, the harder it is to see the movement of the veins. If you ever have a chance to set a couple of white shelled eggs, and see the veins, you will really see the movement.
Do not over handle the eggs. Too much, especially too rough, will cause the veins to rupture, especially early on.
By 2 weeks, the eggs will be very much more "solid looking" with the developing chick. There will be some movement but the chick is filling up the space quickly.
Look up egg candling on the internet. I think that BYC has a pretty decent chart of progress from start to finish.
If you see veins, then leave them to develop. I have only had 2 or 3 eggs burst in the incubator over the 50+ years... mostly they just are duds, handle carefully when you take them out to dispose of.
Sounds like your eggs are doing good.