Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we ordered a half of beef, the first time we did what they called the "standard" cut-up. The next year we adjusted it to our likes, for instance, we received rib steaks the first year, the next year I mentioned that we really didn't like the rib steaks and was there something else - yep, prime rib roasts! Christmas dinner was planned, lol.

I go heavier on the stew meat than ground beef. I have a grinder attachment for the Kitchen aid that I will grind the stew meat if I am in need of ground beef. I have a plate with larger holes for "chili" grind that I like for chili and casseroles compared to the normal grind for burger.

For pork, personally I would get plain ground pork in 1 lb packages. That way I could season it however I wanted when I used it. There are some really good spice blend recipes out there for making your own brats, pork sausage, etc. Unless you know that you like their recipe for sausage best of course. My friend had pig made into bratwurst and pork sausage. The seasoning in the sausage had way too much fennel seed for my taste and not enough sage. He gave me about 5 pounds of sausage, but even though I tried to doctor it up, I ended up using it for dog food. I told him it was greedily devoured. He said "Wow, I have more it you want it! We don't really like it." At that point I fessed up and the dog got another box of sausage.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning all. A chilly start today and cooler tomorrow.
freezer space is not an issue. I've got more freezers than I know what to do with and was given another one just last week 🙄
Quite the opposite problem here. Last year the only deep freeze quit and we still have meat in the neighbors shop freezer. This year the shiny double door fridge, with the bottom drawer freezer quit. Will cost more to fix it than buy a used one.
Had to pull my old little fridge out of the horse trailer and the second outside camper fridge out to have space in the house. The 1980 regular fridge in garage still works though.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Burger and stew meat are definitely a way to go. Burger is very versatile. Tacos to soup. I do a lot of roasts, oven and pot because they can be eaten for a few days. I smoke meat quite often so anything that isn't fatty enough gets the larding needle. Smoke and braise makes for good dinners. Just can't do it right now because of a total burn ban still in effect until we get good rains.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bessey coming to the fence for a pat on the neck and a scratch behind the ears. She'll moo at me nodding her head up and down. if I don't at least pat her on top of that hard head of hers. You think she might be spoiled?
IMG_20221007_181330173~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went razor clam digging. Less than an hour to get both our limits. Had to take the puppy as he can't be home alone that long. Athena probably threw a party at getting some time away from him.

Hermes kept trying to eat all the sand dollars and shell bits. Bounced all over the place in excitement. Tried to help me stomp for clam sign.

Latest posts