Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good after noon all. It's time to check in again I guess.
Well, this episode, as I was just informed, was assisted by a cup of coffee, a shot of bourbon, and a spoonful of the orange honey sauce we canned. ๐Ÿ˜†
That used to be the only medicine and I haven't talked to anybody who has used it that it didn't help. Honey is one of the best antiviral anti everything there is. It can also be used to heal large cuts or scrapes that won't heal. Just pile it on and cover with gauze pad...etc.

I've noticed on the years I do get a cold that won't go away, I spend a week of not drinking (not my normal), taking the day/nyquill and plenty of rest ..... nothing. Then I get a bottle of whiskey and consume a lot. Next day better. I don't suggest this to/for everyone.;)

Disclaimer not for sale to minors.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for this picture! It made me bust out laughing. Leg is elevated, ice pack on knee. Can't even watch Sheep TV as the selfish beasts have gone into their shelters to ruminate through the heat of the day. Can anyone say BORED? Thought I would flip over here to watch a little of @CrealCritter Cow TV at @CLSranch suggestion. Now I can watch CC's Cow TV AND have a great laugh!

:hugs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How about Turkey TV? It's a less frequently watched channel.
IMG_20221006_143214790~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's getting to be about meat locker time.
Now the difficult part. I feel so duh... I should know animals and cuts better. I don't even do the grocery shopping, rarely do the cooking ๐Ÿ™„

Beef ๐Ÿ„, I want to minimize waste. Organs we don't eat can be made into dog food, bones for broth, farm babe agrees. That's the easy part. But so many options and so little understanding... Everything bone in, can use the bones for broth, that was easy, I think. Ribs what the heck is Korean style? Nah... Just regular short ribs please. Tail yep, like some oxtail soup ๐Ÿ˜‹ Trim and Grind IDK just want burger 1 lb packages, Hamburger the universal meat, ok that easy. But paddies IDK how much do they do in paddies? I guess it depends on if I select stew meat and how much, probably affects amount of burger also ๐Ÿค” And I haven't even thought much on the front and hind quarters yet. It's daunting!
Screenshot_20221006-192257~2.png

Pork ๐Ÿ– ok we like chops, bacon, mild sausage, ham. Joel bacon sounds interesting ๐Ÿค” farm babe says she will be mad at me if I don't get the fat. Happy wife, happy life - that was easy. Organs dogfood? I think so. We like hocks - n beans, smoked & cured yes please. Bones yep, dogs will love me. That's all I know... This is such a hard test and I guess there's no wrong answers ๐Ÿ™„
Screenshot_20221006-192203~2.png

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's getting to be about meat locker time.
Now the difficult part. I feel so duh... I should know animals and cuts better.
I guess the biggest thing is knowing what your beef is and how much hamburger you actually eat. You can fix a lot more burgers than you think when just picking out the whole amount at one time. I took a bull in that I didn't need/want a while back. He kept mentioning all the cuts of meat and I said yea I like that, yea I like that and the steaks weren't that good and I wished I picked more hamburger. I always like hamburger.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess the biggest thing is knowing what your beef is and how much hamburger you actually eat. You can fix a lot more burgers than you think when just picking out the whole amount at one time. I took a bull in that I didn't need/want a while back. He kept mentioning all the cuts of meat and I said yea I like that, yea I like that and the steaks weren't that good and I wished I picked more hamburger. I always like hamburger.
Agree hamburger is the universal meat. Just think of how many different things you can make to eat with burger.

My wife makes an awesome Italian beef, she freezes the leftovers in meal size containers, so I best get roasts if I want any, which I do.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just think of how many different things you can make to eat with burger.
Oddly I never liked Hamburger Helper. I always added a lot of extras. I switched to velvetta skillets and can't even put hamburger in that or Zatarain's today, and I Love both with Chicken or Sausage. Yet I still LOVE a hamburger.

Odd Gulash recipe when you need to feed a lot of people. Start 1 box hamburger helper, 1 box mac an cheese, and 2 pds of hamburber. Then it's optional (why you never eat Gulash out of town). Potatoes are a good way to spread the distance if needed, a can of beans is required, you can add cream of mushroom, Rotel, Green Chilis, Enchilada sauce or dern near anything you like. Another reason not to eat Gulash out of town.
Another odd tid bit is that Enchilada sauce adds a sweet note to most things. It even makes cheap pizza taste much better if you add it on top before baking it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter if freezer space is an issue, get more boneless cuts. For instance, rib eye steak, boneless round steak, tenderized. You can always ask for the bones, make broth and get them out of the way.
We about got the beef sheet complete almost โœ… freezer space is not an issue. I've got more freezers than I know what to do with and was given another one just last week ๐Ÿ™„

Hog cut sheet is a head scratcher though.

I must put learning meat cuts on my to-do list.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy Friday! This weekend will be a lot of putting the gardens to bed, last lawn mowing, leaves sweeping, putting hoses away and shutting down water. I need to get the chicken run wrapped, but with projected highs in the 70s next week it will have to wait a bit. Hopefully will get the kids out for a nature walk or two-going to be brisk (in the 40s). Today is a day of desk job but I might just have to log out at 12 for the day, lol. Homecoming for the kids tonight, going to be chilly on those metal bleachers :)