Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
14F but feels like 4 here, thankfully the wind from yesterday is gone it doesnt feel too bad, headed to 30. 30s for the rest of the week so I don't have to go outside every hour to chop ice in waterers.

Today is a down day, ran errands all day yesterday so today is laundry, clean the bathroom and cook/bake. Making enchiladas and sheet pan sugar cookies.

We put up our tree yesterday, little early but the girls asked. Lol

Attachments

• 1668951055862480824187009274477.jpg
    1668951055862480824187009274477.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 35

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Dodged another lake effect snow blast. Only got a fraction here, 20 miles to the north got dumped on. Other than the initial wave of snow, the high winds and 6+ inches missed us.

Sunny and very chilly right now. 4 tree rats fighting over the feeders

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This has been an interesting day. If the prevailing winds were about 15 degrees in direction to the south we would be getting western New York's multiple feet snowfall. Despite that, we have 6-9 inches predicted overnight. We got blasted yesterday unexpected, so I took the opportunity on a sunny day to get shopping done for the week.

Shopping was an adventure. Got in line behind an older gentleman who was really flustered trying to check out. The cashier was awesome and we had him laughing and smiling at the end. Lady behind me was being a grumpy butt, but my lighthearted banter put her on notice I would not tolerate any complaints.

On the way home (four lane divided highway), an SUV ahead of me lost control, went off the road, and rolled several times, ending up on the roof. Single vehicle involved. I was one of 10 cars stopping to help. I watched for oncoming traffic while 3 guys pulled the driver out (only person). Luckily, he was walking and talking fine when I left. People were still stopping to help when I left.

Finally, made one more stop and found a cellphone in the parking lot. Turned it in at the customer service desk. Was checking out, when the phone owner came in frantic. Cashier gave it to her and pointed me out for turning it in. She was so happy.

Wife is all set for her comfort needs now as her procedure recovery is painful and stressful. Made pumpkin bread this morning.

Am happy and thankful I made a difference today
What a day indeed!!! I am thankful you made it home safe.
Brother, sorry, I am forgetful, please walk me back, I cant remember what procedure your wife had. Eather way, I will keep her in my prayers.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
What a day indeed!!! I am thankful you made it home safe.
Brother, sorry, I am forgetful, please walk me back, I cant remember what procedure your wife had. Eather way, I will keep her in my prayers.
I hadn't posted details previously.

She has had two procedures for kidney stones the past 3 weeks, third one is scheduled in 10 days. Left side was in danger of becoming something bad left untreated (7mm stone had to be broken up. The stents are painful.

She has been battling them since June.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Sunday Morning!
up at 4:50am made the fire, coffee, opened the coop- scooped up the overnight poop, filled the water, -- added more wood to the stove and poured my a wonderful HOT cup of coffee.

Even though its 28 out the coop water didnt freeze like yesterday, non of the chickens have explored the nesting box yet??? very odd. The Leghorns would have been all over it.
I must say how nice it is to be caught up on all but recalking the tub. Yesterday I cleaned the front bathroom, took my new fig tree out of its planter and planted it in a nice warm spot in the garden. I was pleased to see it had nice new root growth, then I redusted, I even washed the fly specks off the ceiling lights in the kitchen. I found a old can of paint in the shed I think it was used to paint the inside it looked like it was 10yrs old, BUT I mixed it up and touched up some spots in the dinning room, made dinner and :p went to bed at 7:30pm.

So, today after church I need to go to costco, get a big tub of salad and another 24ct eggs, ( maybe get something premade so I don't need to cook today or tomorrow) pick up 2 things at home depot,
I really would like a day off but in reality there really is no such thing unless you have a butler, cook, housekeeper and live at Downton Abbey 😁

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hadn't posted details previously.

She has had two procedures for kidney stones the past 3 weeks, third one is scheduled in 10 days. Left side was in danger of becoming something bad left untreated (7mm stone had to be broken up. The stents are painful.

She has been battling them since June.
Oh my!! yes very painful poor gal! she must be so tired. Let her know I send my love and prayers!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are back from our journey, man it's cold in central Illinois 🥶

My wife and granddaughters named him Romeo. He's a very well mannored, alert and healthy red belted galloway weened bull calf. He born late this spring and somewhere in between 450 to 500lbs (I ani't very good at guessing cattle weight).

When we were sorting in the weening yard, with long cane poles, a heifer calf about the same size sprouted wings and jumped clean over a stretch of cattle panel. I mean clean over it, that was impressive! Romeo was a easy load and even easier unloading. 7 head on the pastures now.
IMG_20221120_140738094.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We are back from our journey, man it's cold in central Illinois 🥶

My wife and granddaughter named him Romeo. He's a very well mannored alert and healthy red belted galloway bull calf. He born late this spring and somewhere in between 450 to 500lbs (I anit very good at guessing cattle weight).

When we were sorting in the weening yard, long cane poles, a heifer calf about the same size sprouted wings and jumped clean over a stretch of cattle panel. I mean clean over it, that was impressive! Romeo was a easy load and even easier unloading. 7 head on the pastures now.
View attachment 21282

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
And I thought chicken math was bad

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. The "fun" begins. :old new TV channel...R rated.

Such innocence looking at you today. 🙄 Remember that impressive jumping heifer -- they can all do that. You really don't imagine such power and agility when you see a "chunky" bovine. Surprise! The pasture queen will check him out. Maybe let him join the herd. :lol::pop