Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am familiar with the idea... I just REALLY wish I could remember how their's was set up. There are so many different ways to get it done.

I remember the homestead cabins that they built, starting in the 1840s about, and they all had gutters that collected the rain from the roof, piped it into a box at ground level that had a screen on top and was filled with charcoal, then the bottom of the box emptied, slightly under ground, into a pipe that ran to an underground cistern. They put a covered well on top of the cistern to get the water back out to use and drink.

I am not sure what the original gutters were made put of. But the original pipes were all handmade tile pipes.

Anyway... I keep wondering if they used some ingenious smoking methods too....

Just want to kick myself for not asking my grandparents when I was a kid.
Lol my house still has a cistern. Actually two cisterns complete with the brick sand and charcoal filter box. If you want to know any details I would be more than willing to share what I know about the system.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol my house still has a cistern. Actually two cisterns complete with the brick sand and charcoal filter box. If you want to know any details I would be more than willing to share what I know about the system.

I have never seen inside the cisterns... do you know what they look like? And what they are made of?

Are the cisterns rock, or tile? Dome roof???

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So on the smoker, I am thinking, if you done have refrigeration or freezer, you can smoke / dry/ can,
then what are you going to smoke?
well........
fish
game meat
maybe chicken, but you can harvest them as needed
Ok, so then how big do you need to smoke a deer if you had one?
@Alaskan @CrealCritter
A smoke box about outhouse size will hold a deer.

But really... you need 2 deer and 1 pig to = gobs of the best sausage ever.

I would just slaughter the 2 deer and a pig.. decide what I wanted smoked..stuff the outhouse sized smoker... and then whatever didn't fit process in a different way.

You can make lots of dried sausage that lasts a long time. Some dried sausage is also smoked, but it doesn't have to be.

Also, venison jerky lasts and tastes great.

You could also brine cure.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made BK, did dishes,
rinsed the beans and put them on to boil with red chili & cumin,

mowed, hosed the porch,
got a load of towels in, pulled the meat off the beef bones and put the bones in the pressure cooker, recleaned up the kitchen AND- it is coffee time-
NEXT UP-- Kraut making

Grandpa is almost done getting all of his knives ready for the knife show, he just printed out new labels. He makes the majority of out of stainless tool steel and also forge blades out of high carbon steel, and he makes the sheath's, he has 28 on the table
IMG_1094.JPG

now the last pic is a Push dagger ( Gamblers Knife) the blade is made from 1850's Blade Steel and the handle is 1850"s Lake recovered Maple, a Period Correct item
DSC_0687.JPG DSC_0688.JPG DSC_0689.JPG DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0691.JPG DSC_0692.JPG DSC_0693.JPG
Kid 3 makes knives.

Fun hobby.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beautiful knives. Grandpa is an artist!

I did chores, then shucked corn. Blanched, cut off cob and scraped cob. 17 bags of one cup each. Then cleaned up the mess. Made a lemon icebox pie, it’s chilling in the refrigerator. Got to scoot back outside to put up ewe lambs, then move Ringo and the big ewes back to the barn. Leaving at 3 to take neighbor Robert and his wife to early supper. Then we’ll come home and eat pie.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ask Grandpa what size knife scales he uses. I have some dry nicely curled and birdseye figured hard maple, I would like to give him free for his knifes. If he would like to try it. I have various sizes and just need rough dimensions for a flat rate box via USPS. If he doesn't want the wood, that's perfectly ok also.

But why would offer this? It's a very simple reason really... Because he's obviously extremely talented, those knifes are works of art. I enjoy seeing someone with talent, put their talent to good use.